Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 Disco II the leaks and burns oil like its going out of style, I have a theory as to why this is but no matter what the cause I am looking at rebuilding the engine with new seals.

Theory: I noticed there is a check valve were there wasnt one before on top of the right valve cover going to the throttle body after the head gaskets were replaced. I think this caused an increase in oil pressure.

Because downtime is an issue(i am a recent vet and going to school) I was thinking of picking up one of these once I can afoord it. Used Engine, and doing the swap over a long weekend, then maybe I could sell the old block or when money comes in I could rebuild it to a 4.6 and cam it up or something.

Does anyone know if that engine is worth it? Do you knwo of any engine swap guides(I have never done one but I am not a complete idiot and understand the complexity of it)? Would anyone in the tidewater area be willing to work for beer or possible the old engine?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Before you write off an engine there are things you should be checking, unless you just want to single handedly improve the economy.
Send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thank you mike, I sent you a personal message with my number.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sealmaggedon

So I did what you usggested Mike, I scubbed the crap out of the engine and bay, put in a bottle of seal fixer ran it a couple days re cleaned the engine bay and ran it while checking for leaks. I am afraid that the FMS is toast and either the RMS and or the TSeal are toast. AANNNNDDDDD the RH valve cover gasket is leaking. It looks as the check valve they put on the breather hose really nackered every last peice of rubber on the engine.:bawling:

I also did another compression test and it wasnt perfect but it was okay.
Cyl:
1: 170 2: 170
3: 170 4: 160-165
5: 170 6: 185:buttrock:
7: 160-165 8: 135-140 (Holds 155 if I crank it for about 20 seconds):dunno:

Do you have any tips of tricks for changing Crank seals and the T seal. I ordered them over the weekend and I will change them out this coming weekend. Along with cleaning the intake systema and replacing all those seals as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, I would be suprised if you have not heard of this people before but here is a link to the exploded engine view. The T-seal is item number 32.

Discovery II Engine Lower End - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Edit: I called them this morning after we spoke and they said it reside just behind the behind(tranny side) the crank bearing so it is relitivly easy to replace especially when doing a RMS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts