Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a discovery and having a guy down in Dallas do an engine swap for me, but I wanted to get you guys opinion first. I talked to him this morning and he said he has used a couple of Mercedes diesels in the discos. What engine do yall recommend? will do all the work engine included for around 6500.

He also mentioned other engines as well but I couldn't really understand him on the phone. I know he mentioned an Isuzu diesel.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
While you can theoretically swap any engine into any car given the right amount of money and planning, I'd be really wary of anyone that says that they can swap in Mercedes or Isuzu diesels into a D2 with relative ease. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I personally haven't heard of it yet so if you do want to move forward with it insist that you see some evidence of the work they've done and make sure you get everything in writing.

I'd be incredibly interested to see how they go about retrofitting the ignition system, AC system, power steering system, transmission/transfer case, OBDII system, and ABS/TC/DAC system.

Then you gotta remember the simple stuff like replacing the fuel filler neck (since diesel pumps are larger diameter) and replacing the fuel pump (since diesel is thicker than gas) due to the increased load and decreased flow rate.

There's a lot more work involved than $6500. Just do your homework before you open yourself up to risk.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
All good points Bos.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Actually the mercedes diesel and the izsuz diesel have both been swapped into a DII. Also a LS motor has been swapped into a DII and LR3. It can be done.

There are a few threads floating around on the swaps. The Mercedes diesel will not be a speed demon by any stretch but very reliable with decent economy. If the guy can do it all in for that price and you don't mind the outlay I'd say go for it.

The TD5 is a great option but it's still illegal to run on the street in the USA. Needs to be 21 years old to make it past EPA regulations. Not saying it can't be done but it's not legal to do so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks MRussell for the bump! $6500 total installed in VERY inexpensive. Like stated above, with enough time and money anything is possible, however a diesel engine swap requires some of both. It is difficult to get all of the modules to talk with an engine swap, that is why many of them remain unfinished, with service engine soon lights, and or ABS/TC lights still on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.