Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Do not update the software yet.

I do not know much about updating the software - the advantages and disadvantages, but I would certainly hold off for some time.

For the most part, the software as it came from the factory is OK. The updates were to fix usually obscure problems or to add new features such as the 3 flash re the turn signals found on the newer model year 2008 vehicles.

Yes, it is true that within the first year, LR did issue a recall of sorts for all 2005 LR3's to have a general package of updates. If is possible your 3 has them however as it depends when in the production cycle your 3 was built; also it is possible the updates were done within the warranty period by the first owner.

In your case, leave all alone for the time being as before whatever happened, your 3 was running OK.

When you install the new battery, keep the battery charger on it every night or as often as practical. My 3 is parked quite a bit these days. I drive my work truck during the week and the 3 on weekends. I keep the 3 on my CTEK trickle charger all week long. As such, when the weekend comes, all works great - no dash warning lights - just a 3 that runs well.

Also most new batteries are pretty much dead charge wise when you get them; as such they need to be put on a battery charger usually at a low rate for at least 8 hours or until it does not want to accept a charge any longer. It sounds like that is what you are doing.

And yes, keep clearing codes and note what codes reappear. You may see a pattern - the same ones over and over so that could be a clue to the real problem.

Am I to assume that the temperature gauge is showing normal at least for a short while now?

Once you do decide to update the software, try to choose something that is not too important - maybe something to do with the radio or BlueTooth. The idea is to get experience at what the 3 does and how it reacts. You will also have to keep the battery charger running while you are doing the software updates. it seems the head lights and signal lights flash on and off, various clicking sounds keep happening - all quite disturbing I might add until you get used to it.

Also always keep the drivers side front window rolled down as some of the clicking is the door locks locking and hopefully unlocking and you usually have to have the key in the ignition - sometimes off, sometimes on.

·
Land Rover LR3 4.4 V8 black and full options !!!!
49 Posts
http://landroversonly.com/forums/images/smilies/complain.gif It's still not working !

I'm so tired with this car and more of that it's the second time that I loose my Post.... It's a very very bad day !!!!

Like you guess my car refuse again to start.... it's still impredictible.
Sometimes the Water Temperature Gauge is going up, sometimes is going down... no reason and I'm not touching anything....

But something is new, today for the first time, sometimes, when the gauge was up, the four flashers were off. Before, they were on any single time the gauge was going up. But they are always off when the gauge is normal.
It makes a difference, because I have noticed that the communication with the MSV-2 is impossible when the four flashers are on, but even if the gauge is up, if the flashers are off I can communicate, read faults and erase faults. It's impossible when the flashers are on.

I ahve seen we ignore the faults with U, ok I have some faults that are always here:
Airbag B0095 and HEVAC B1B78
I have been to the site: Diesel performance tuning and economy remap chip tuning for Landrover Defender Discovery TD5 Puma TDV6 TDV8 to know the meaning but it's not really helping me too much... and you, do you know what to do with these two errors ?

I have also many errors on the Body Control but they are Invalid Faults, do you what it means, why I have invalid faults ?
And except that I have arund 500 faults everywhere... I didn't check all of them, I'm so exausted...

Can you please help me ? How to be efficient to detect faults ? Is there any method ? Because when I start a scan at any time the flashers can light on....
Because until now it' really unpredicitble, no way, one minute it's ok, one minute not, flashers one or off at any time...

Ah yes a VERY IMPORTANT POINT:
So often, when the flashers are on, if I press the reset button for the distance trip, they are going off and even the water Temperature gauge is going back to normal ? It is not so strange ?

At least I'm sure it's not the battery.
Do you still think it can be the Oil Temperature Sensor ? Or the Water Temperature Sensor ? Do you still don't think it can be the Electronic card module?

I'm really really tired and hopefully for the LR3. it has some value, if not I would just burn it!!!!http://landroversonly.com/forums/images/smilies/complain.gif

Thank you for your precious help and for your patience.....

I'm going to drink a whisky to forget this day....

See you tomorrow !!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Flashers are an interesting point.

Since you have an LR3, I presume the engine is the 4.4L Jag V8 gasoline unit and not one of the diesels - hence the Tuning guys will probably not be of much help.

Now that you mention the flashers, when the 3 is operating correctly but having codes cleared or software changed, flashing of the flashers is a norm. It is only a single flash at a time but quite a few times along with lots of clicking and one of the reasons you have to have the battery charger hooked up when doing software updates or clearing codes - it seems lights are always flashing for some reason. Maybe it is to indicate that something good is happening.

The fact that pressing the mileage reset stops what I guess is continuous flashing or resets the temp gauge is of course odd. It also suggests to me there is nothing wrong with the temp gauge - that is a symptom of the problem, not the problem.

I am kind of out of ideas, so I wonder if anyone else has some. I note that this thread is getting lots of hits - that suggests you have a real problem with unfortunately no easy solution.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the HEVAC fault, B1B78,refer to?

That could be significant as there is lots of things in the air conditioning system as well as the heating that can go wrong, or at least show as wrong.

I would think that the error code and the heat gauge showing odd things are somehow related.

If you want to try to erase a code, that B1B78 code would be one I would try to get rid of and see if it then reappears. I am then thinking of suggesting you pull any fuse that relates to the heating and AC system to try to shut the systems down and see if the code reappears.

I also thought about you removing the signal light bulbs front and rear, but I am not certain what that would do. Actually I would just disconnect the plugs that feed the two rear light assemblies and the two head light assemblies - that way, all is disconnected. The engine should still run with all the lights removed.

Basically I am suggesting trying to eliminate complete systems from the electrical and see if anything changes for the better.

·
49 Posts
Yes the engine is a 4.4L gasoline from 2005.

When I was saying that the flashers are on, it means no way to stop them, thea are flashing continuously.

For me the flasing are not too important, because even if the flashers are off, but the gauge is up, no way to start the engine... Also my goal is to determine why my gauge is going up, where come from this wrong signal. That the reason why I'm thinking about changing the Elctronic card... but at the same time I know we have to progam the new one with the old one and that, I can't do it...

Yes the fact to press the mileage reset to myke the gauge going to right place is really so funny !!! For me, this is too strange and I have no explanation.

Today, rainy heavy again, but anyway I have tried to work on it.... Impossible to start the engine... impossible, even with the magic reset button, to make the gauge going down... It means no scan possible today...

I have two question: What it is HEVAC ? Sorry for my little knowledge...
Can you please tell me the fuse N° for the AC or heating system, to be sure I don't miss any...
Maybe you are right for the AC starting January the AC was not working (No cooling) but the ventilation is still working... maybe...

About the lights, front and tail, I have done already, no effect, still same....

Also really, I would like to find why I have this gauge going up... if I find it and fix it I will be able to drive the car.... I'm sure that the car refuse to start, it's just a protection because my engine is too hot... If I'm able to put my gauge as normal, it would be ok.

Thank you again so so much !!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe others have said the four flashers indicates the LR thinks it's in crash mode and this might explain a bunch of other faults. I think one of the UK guys who ran into this with his D3 ended up replacing the CJB. You may want to check the connectors and wiring to see if there is anything obvious amiss there.

·
49 Posts
Thank you so much stmcknig (very hard to pronounce;-)

I don't think it would the same problem, because if the car think I had a crash the gasoline pump will not work and the car will stop.
In my case, if the four flashers light on when the engine is turning the car still continue to run.

Anyway thank you so much for your help, it's precious to receive answer from different people !!! I you have any other idea, please post it !!!

Thank you again !!

·
Registered
522 Posts
The flashers issue, this has popped up on a couple of other forums, presumably the same two people. The issue was resolved as a fault in a connection in the instrument pack. Check around some other threads related... I can't remember now, but I posted a detailed reply yesterday regarding this issue.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24330

·
49 Posts
Also finally it was the connection behind the instrument cluster.
I had to put something to make the connector attached to the instrument cluster more stable.

It's working, so good.

The President car is running again !!!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Your persistence paid off.

I am impressed - you found the problem. You put a lot of effort into it so you are to be congratulated.

I must say that I was out of ideas.

The most important thing to note that the solution was not replace parts but to figure out where an electrical related problem really was located.

Behind the instrument panel is not an easy place to find.

Well done and I hope your Presidents Car continues to serve you well.

You are now well qualified to drive and maintain a Land Rover, and have the instruments to do so now.

Land Rover, making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Also finally it was the connection behind the instrument cluster.
I had to put something to make the connector attached to the instrument cluster more stable.

It's working, so good.

The President car is running again !!!!!
I may have to look into this. My LR3 sometimes gets a transmission code for being unable to communicate with the cluster.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
657 Posts
Instrument pack connector makes sense.

I could not access the link that tltprovided re the instrument pack but I can understand why a faulty connector to the instrument pack would cause so many problems.

The printed circuit board on the back of the instrument pack kind of duplicates in some ways, the primary printed circuit board located on the back of the glove box fuse panel. These pc boards are the "motherboards" of the 3 - memory chips reside on each.

The backup memory chip for the fuse panel pc board memory chip is located on the instrument pc board. This is so when the fuse panel memory board is replaced, the new board can access the backup memory chip and load from there, and I suppose vice versa.

If the two cannot talk to each other, the 3 gets very sick it seems.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts