Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it best to wait untli the tepm guage reaches it's "level" position before driving. Basically should you let the engine warm up before driving? If one does not, is there any chance of damage as a result of jumping in your truck and driving it with out letting it warm-up?
I am new with my truck and appreciate the knowledge on this forum.

:eek:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I doubt you'll do any damage under 'normal conditions' if you start her up and drive her away immediately. It's all a matter of having a little oil on the cylinder walls/cam lobes/bearing surfaces etc. There are a couple of exceptions of course:
1. If it was -54Celcius last night (I'm a Canuck) you need to warm up first - that is if you can get the bloody thing started in the first place...
2. If she has been sitting for a couple of months or longer so that the film of oil in the cylinders has disappeared completely - then better squirt some oil down the spark plug holes...
One other point, keep your engine as clean inside as you can; change the oil very often - normal wear and tear in starting up will be lessened.

·
Registered
321 Posts
was up north and over night temp was -60ish c with good ol' wind chill... started up after a few secs of a grinding noise, then the fan belt squeeling away. after about 5 minutes tried to take the parking brake out, wouldn't move. tried to put it in gear, wouldn't move... so left it in netureal and went across the street to timmies for some bits and coffee.... ya.. it starts alright... just doesn't move for awhile...

going back to topic... if you're going to do short jaunts to the store etc... which doesn't let the engine warm up properly, turn it off and repeat, this is not good for your engine or any engine due to different metals expanding at different rates. was problems with other cars that had aluminium heads with iron block. also not good for your exhaust as water will build up in your muffler rusting it out.
take care
sam

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't remember where I read it, it may even be the manual, which said do not leave it idling to warm up, rather drive it. Not sure why, would be nice if anyone had input on this. I would say it is okay to drive immediately, but take it easy on the gas and save the "drive it like you stole it" until it has warmed up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am new to land Rover's as well but as an old gaffer who's previous veh was a 400cu inch V8 with close to 300,000 miles,I have found that using synthetic
oil in the winter months seems to make cold starts easier.
I also believe that warming a vehicle up before driving is important to better engine life. I warm up my vehicles in neutral until I notice movement on the temp guage.
Using a vehicle in our climate where it occasionally gets to 30 below requires a few other preparations as well, but frequent oil and filter changes with high quality products is an important factor.
It wasn't untill the environment became a concern and the damage that vehicle emmisions do to the environment that there was a push towards "not" idling the engine untill it warms up. So I think the concern was about the environment, not the vehicle.
Just my opinion..

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.