Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, again, 2000 Discovery II with 63,000 miles and an engine tick when it gets warmed up. It doesn't missfire or stumble, and I'm certain it's in the engine because it changes with engine speed. Removing the air cleaner you can hear it even more, :dunno: so I think it's inside somewhere. Any pointers?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Some thoughts come to mind....

1. Check your oil level (valve noise).

Your oil level will drop down whenthe engine is operating and one of your valves is running down dry. What kind of oil you running? Maybe it is time for oil change and check the level (perferred cold). If not synthetic oil, try some Seafoam or STP oil treatment , run it and see it the noise goes away.

2. Ignition system seeing a fouled plug.

The new ignition system can monitor the spark valve gap inside the cylinder and will increase the High Voltage to clear any fouling problem. A shop would put their oscilloscope and would be able to target the exact cylinder. If you want, pull your plugs and look at them. If they are fouled with crud, you could have too much oil or the seals might need changing.

You might need some expierenced eyes to help you out if it is those above.

Adam

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running Amsoil 2000 and the level is fine, I just replaced the plugs and doublechecked the gaps. Sometimes it sounds like piston slap, and sometimes it sounds like a rocker/pushrod. It's quiet cold.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Get it to a mechanic and see if you have a piston liner moving around, it does happen.
Mike J.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will thanks, but it sounds too consistant and predictable.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Put a bottle of Chevron Techron in it first.
Fuel cleaner works magic on sticky valves.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And if it doesn't stop after that take it to the mechanic.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IT sounds like a rocker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine tick

The is actually a common problem with the series II. The most economical fix was to purchase the Rocker assemblies from RoverNorth. I researched the internet and found them to be the least expensive. The fix was not that difficult.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.