Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of removing the motor in my 2003 Discovery II. Have progressed to the point where I need remove the engine to transmission bolts.
Would appreciate any help in how others have been able to access the two bolts that are located below the top two bolts (with the wiring brackets behind).
The drivers side in particular is not even visible.

I have removed the engine mounts hoping to gain more room and there it sits.

I see many forum members have done this with success -
And tips please?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
In the process of removing the motor in my 2003 Discovery II. Have progressed to the point where I need remove the engine to transmission bolts.
Would appreciate any help in how others have been able to access the two bolts that are located below the top two bolts (with the wiring brackets behind).
The drivers side in particular is not even visible.

I have removed the engine mounts hoping to gain more room and there it sits.

I see many forum members have done this with success -
And tips please?
You say you removed the mounts, but did you actually lower the engine?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Engine is lowered...
That easily exposes the top two bolts. My challenge remains the two bolts which are the next down the bell housing.

I have seen that others have removed these bolts with some combination of extensions and a universal joint.
The passenger side seems possible. The drivers side is very much hidden.

Going to give it another go tomorrow.
Much appreciation to those who have done this before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Adjusting the height of the engine for optimal reach. I can't remember if I approached those bolts from the front of the car with a box end wrench or from the back with many extensions and U-Joints on a socket. Whatever you can get to work I suppose.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
I pulled my engine last month and I don't remember having any particular issues with these (or any) of the bolts on the back of the engine.

That said I had already removed the exhaust manifolds, heads, y-pipe, and I managed to move the wiring loom out of the way, so I admittedly had more than enough clearance. Maybe stripping the engine down to the bottom end is the trick?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the encouragment !

Got back out today and moved the engine/transmission forward.
Loosened the transmission mount nuts and slid everything forward to the front limit of the slot.

Amazing what an extra inch can allow. Comments anticipated ....

Anyway, engine is now out.

I had the wiring and manifolds removed - that is a good bit of advice. I imagine having the heads off would help as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you just cut a hole in the firewall ? LOL Then patch it back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.