Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been noticing that on my D1, in the past week or so, whenever I've got my foot on the gas, no matter how hard or soft, I get a sort of higher pitched whining that sounds like it's coming from the fan belt or drive belt, whatever, you know what I mean, the one that generally does the ticking at idle.

At first I thought it was because I had the AC on, but it doesn't seem to be better or less when it's off. This could just be psychological but I also feel like I have a little less power with this noise.

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Two things to check. Your power steering pump will make a whining noise if it's low on fluid, though if this is the source, you should have noticed it in the resistance to turning the wheel.
The other thing which can cause this whining noise is you belt tensioner pulley bearing. They go bad, but aren't real expensive to replace.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm... that belt tensioner thing sounds like a possibility. Do you think that's something my fiance, who is pretty good with mechanical things, could check? I will soon be going into the LR dealership to have a door latch replaced, but don't really want them messing around under the hood - that could cost a fortune! Otherwise, whereabouts is this? I know where the belt is, is this tensioner deep in the engine or right on top? Pictures perhaps or a website that shows this? Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
490 Posts
That should be right up near the top. Remove the cover to the fan and you should be able to see it. Your fiance should have no problems replacing this... no liquids to mess with... just some nuts and bolts to replace.

Good luck!

·
2,986 Posts
could also be your driveshafts, when the U-Joints start going you'll hear a whining noise while accelerating (generally worse/more noticable in the first gear or two)

·
Registered
40 Posts
whining noise

Have just covered 9600 klms in the last 21 days from 1 side of Australia to the other and back have also found I have a whining noise was told by a dealer that it was the alternator on the way out. Had to take the car into a dealer after the car was running super rich never get your car serviced the day before you leave on a big trip cost me a fortune in extra fuel. :rellye

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.