Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so before I do my engine swap I need some questions answered. First I am doing this engine swap becouse the previouse owner told me that the engine started knocking and needs to be swapped. however I have never heard the engine run. So I went out and tried to start it, It turns over fine but will not start. I figure before tearing into this, I might want to check to make sure it is the engine that is bad. Anyways besides the typical, does it have spark, air, and fuel, are there any other things I should check out? Also is it possible for an engine to not start becouse of a bad rod? He had said that after he got it home with the rod knocking, it would not start again. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
If it has air,fuel,spark and crakns without start...and that happened all the sudden I'd look into the timing chain/belt...It almost sounds like the timing is off

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It's a good idea before you start tearing the engine out to diagnose it. I would doubt that because a rod was broken that the engine would not start. After reading your earlier posts, it was assumed that you were certain the motor needed replacing, and TerryS went to lengths to explain how. Not starting could be related to one or more of the symptoms you have described. I'd try to sort out those first and get the motor started, then you will have a better idea of whats wrong with it. Perhaps nothing serious at all.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
If all was ok, even with a bad rod, it should still start. An oler engine, not run for awhile will sound like it's coming unglued, since the lifters are probably totally dry and no pumped up. You can have spark with the timing being so far off it won't fire. Spark, Air and Fuel don't mean squat if they're not occurig at just the right time.

Drop the pan, if you're convinced it's a rod, and have a look-see up there. A broken rod will be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Turn the key to position 2...do you hear the fuel pump?

When you depress the schraeder valve on the fuel rail, does fuel come out?

What is your battery voltage?

Do you get a lot of clicking from the passenger side footwell?

I found some corroded wires leading to the multifunction relay between the charcoal canister and the wiper reservoir...if that thing goes, you won't be able to fire the engine...

Bogatyr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.