Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
I was in Hamilton this morning.. Loads of snow :buttrock: :drive:

But I took the train up from Yorkshire (where I work) so was without Landrover :complain:

Then when I got down to Yorkshire expecting to go out and have some fun today there was no bloody snow :bawling:

Anyway..

I've moved a stage further in my decision making.. Defo going for a V8. So I'm going to buy a cheap cast off Range Rover for about £500 (£800 tops) and that way I have the engine, Gear box (if its a 5 gear manual) and the axles so I have disks all round and the right ratio diffs,

So now its down to EFi or carb... Back to the floor gentlemen :)

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Right. I've dont another 180 in my thinking. MY Landrover mech mate has convinced me to go for a TDi instead of V8. He tells me he can do a TDi for much cheaper than the V8 cos he insists the bulkhead would need too much work doing on it to make it fit.

SO... anyone know if its worth me keeping my LPG kit on the TDi or shal I get rid of it?

I know Diesels wont run %100 on LPG but I'm led to belive that they work in a mix and with the LPG you get %30 more power and an increase of about 8 or more MPG.. anyone know if this is true? if it is then its a very good argument for geting the TDi as I'll get a much extended range.. :rellye

When this question came up in January, I wasn't positive. Now I am, there is only one bulkhead (with punch out panel for clutch pedal, depending if it's used for auto or manual gearbox) So I'm pretty convinced your mechanic is blowing smoke up your, uh, nevermind. The difference is in some small sheet metal adapters, that fit on the cab side of the bulkhead, used to adapt the tunnel to the bulkhead. This was needed because of the difference in the TDi Vs V8 bellhousings. So, from the way I see it, as seen in the universal parts manual, that's all you would have needed to change.
All of that notwithstanding, I wouldn't go to a V8, since your engine mounts are already correct. As to the LPG, there was a kit, which I have not heard much about recently (I'm wondering if the gasoline companies had the feds squash it) that allowed you to connect a PROPANE line directly into the air inlet. Supply was from a standard bottle,such as that used on the grill. I heard people claim there was a huge increase in power on acceleration with pretty respectable fuel savings, though I don't know if they factored in the cost of the propane ($12.00 per 20 lb refill today)

Discussion starter · #28 ·
A few people have said what you just said Terry. To be hoonest I only really wanted the V8 for the V8 factor of it. I know a TDi would be better for my needs.

About the LPG.. You can put any old gas in really. its all very simmilar and its alot cheaper to buy it in bottles for cooking than in a Car Gas station as its got no tax on it. It wouldnt be hard to to fit an adapter to the currently installed gass system to use bottles but you run the risk of being caught and charged with tax evaision (same as using plant (red) deisel in your car). If you found a way to empty a bottle into the gas tank on the vehicle there would be no way for the authourities to check. Its not like they can dip your tank looking for red die.. :clap: Not sure how you would do it cos the pressure would equalize between the two tanks so you would only ever be able to half fill it. :dunno:

It's universally true: The grass is always greener.....yadiyadiya
A TDi is an ultra desireable engine over here, even though Diesel is selling for more than premium unleaded.
I use home heating oil in my John Deere tractor, but no one cares what you use if it's not on the highway. I guess the UK and US use a similar dye system. I have nevere seen the DMV cops check a car for dyed diesel fuel, but that's small potatos to the truckers consumption which is where the taxman would really loose.
Pumping the propane is the way to fill the tank, there is a special pump( I think it's a vane pump) they use to pump LPG, not hard to find one from an industril supply catalog, but I suppose it's a matter of deminishing returns when you have to spend a pound to save a pint.
Ford makes a jumbo SUV called an Excursion. Somewhere between a Frigate and a Destroyer. The cost of the optional diesel, is paid for if you drive it about 100K ( that was before diesel went through the Ozone too)
Am I correct that the power gain in using propane injection in a diesel, apart from the fact that it is combustable, is to increase the air density the way an intercooler does?

You could try making your own Biodiesel. I'm thinking of joining a Biodiesel Association over here, as I would like to make some for my tractor. From what I have read, it's not difficult to make, and, I have actually seen a Discovery running on the stuff without any power loss.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Right.. My landrover is away now.. Was taken away on the back of a pickup yesterday :bawling: But when I see it next its going to have a 200 or 300TDi under the bonnet :lol:

--------------------------------------------------
Got some fact here about LPG on deisel engins..

Diesel LPG Conversions

Diesel engines can be converted to run partly on LPG, partly on diesel. This method uses the combustion of the diesel to ignite the LPG. The benefits include large increases in power and reduction in emissions, particularly the black smoke often associated with diesels.
Typically a ratio of 30% LPG to 70% diesel is possible. No adjustments are required to the diesel injection system and fuel savings come from the fact that throttle openings are lower due to the greatly increased power, which basically means you do not have to press the accelerator as hard to get the same performance.
Fuel savings upwards of 30% are possible with the increased power levels seen as a major benefit to users.
-----------------------------------------------

I went back to the company I got my LPG kit from and asked them what it would cost and what I would need to adapt the current LPG kit to go on the TDi engine. I reminded him I already had one of his kits on my 2.5 L Petrol and that I would need a new length of copper pipe to go from the tank to the engine. this was his reply...

Thank you for your mail,
We can supply you the parts (& instructions) you need to use your kit on a TDi engine,

You will need a special reducer, a vapour solenoid, a pipe mixer valve and some electronic control equipment

The cost will be £128 + vat (inc extra length of copper pipe).
----------------------------------------------

So there we have it.. CAnt wait.. if you want to get a kit from wher I did go to www.tinleytech.co.uk and this link is well worth looking at if you want more info on LPG systems http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/lpgsys.html#lpg

Good to see you have finally decided to take the bull by the horns. There's nothing worse than having a whole lot of options to sort through. I will all be interested in how the conversion goes, and your opinion. Cheers.

Have you asked the insurance company their views on the Tdi gas conversion? If so, is there a big increase in premium? Do they care who fits the kit?

With regard to running on red diesel/heating oil, in my view it is just not worth the risk. Too many places where the excise man is checking anything with a diesel engine.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I havnt checked yet but I'm sure I can afford it anyway.. The insurance cost wouldnt affect my actions anyway.. if its alot I'll just have to stomach it.

It's insured through SureTerm Direct at £300 a year just now and all they want for the LPG kit is a certificate from a LPG tester which costs between £20 and £40.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I've got a few ££££ now.. what engine should I get.. 200 or 300 TDi? I heard the 200 is better on fuel. Is this right? And what sort of money Vs milage should I go for?

Is £400 for an Ex-Disco 300 TDI from 1996 (dont know the milage) a good price?

Get the newest 300 you can afford, hopefully one after the timing belt mod was made, but, in any case put in a new belt before you install the engine.
Better yet, spring for a new 2.8 TGV

Discussion starter · #38 ·
I have heard some pretty good comments about the Isuzu engine. I met a guy who installed it in an M37 Dodge 1 ton military truck and loved it.
700 quid isn't cheap, how does that compare with the cost of the 200Tdi ?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.