Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for better or worse, I got my oil pan fitted today. I had a heck of a time getting it up clear of the oil lines and the drive shaft but I finally got it. Hopefully it doesn't leak.

Now for the stupid. My oil line that goes up into the the front cover from the bottom was dripping oil right where I needed to work. So, I stuck a small piece of paper towel in it hoping to stop the leak long enough to get the pan fitted. While fitting the pan, I moved this line around quite a bit. When done, I noticed the piece of paper towel either fell out or got pushed down into the line. Since I can't find any evidence of the piece of paper towel on the ground, I'm guessing it got pushed into the line. I took a piece of wire, bent a small hook on the end and went digging for the towel but didn't pick anything up. Question now is, what to do? How stupid could I have been to not see this coming!

I imagine if the piece of paper towel is in the line, it would get pushed up into the front cover and eventually find it's way into the oil cooler and clog things up. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Pull the line and blow it out with compressed air.

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Oh and pray it didn't fall out of the line into the pan

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and pray it didn't fall out of the line into the pan
Thanks. If it did fall in the pan, wouldn't the pick up screen catch it? I guess it would disintegrate over time and cause potential problems.

As for disconnecting the line, the Rave says to push against the coupler release ring to disconnect the hose. I don't understand what this means. I see there is a plastic piece right at the connection point. Is this what should be pushed? Toward the radiator I would guess?

Thanks

· Registered
380 Posts
This will be funny later when you think about it. When your D2 is sitting in the garage or wherever, you'll look at it and just laugh and shake your head. I do this every time I look at my rover, its just another story to tell, and another reason to love it.

Good luck on tracking down that pesky piece of paper towel,
Dane.
:drink1:

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will be funny later when you think about it. When your D2 is sitting in the garage or wherever, you'll look at it and just laugh and shake your head. I do this every time I look at my rover, its just another story to tell, and another reason to love it.

Good luck on tracking down that pesky piece of paper towel,
Dane.
:drink1:
Thanks for the prospective. It's hard to laugh at it now! Now if I can just figure out how to remove that line. Hopefully I find the piece of towel in the line. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to hope it didn't fall in the pan. I don't want to take that thing off again just to look. :drink1:

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Not sure how big a piece of towel we're talking about here but if it's not in the line, you might be able to get it out of the pan by draining the oil.

· Registered
380 Posts
Pull the line, if it's not there, look hard again in your garage for the paper towel, if you cant find it ...cry a little, eat some ice cream, kick a tree, than pull the pan. After you find this piece of paper towel you must either frame it, or drop it in mount doom in the depths of mordor.

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys, I'm having a heck of a time getting the oil pipe disconnected from the radiator. Do I pull the black ring back toward the engine or push it toward the radiator to release the pipe? I've tried both and cant get it to release. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
I was wondering what you were talking about. An engine oil line goes into your radiator? My tranny lines run to a cooler up there but I didn't think anything went in the rad. I'm also not sure what model you got there. I know some ran an engine oil cooler(mine don't).

Your talking about the "quick" connect lines. The plastic piece should push into the coupling holding the two lines together. You have to push the plastic tool all the way into this coupling and you should feel some spring loaded resistance. That resistance is the tool releasing the couple grip on the free line. They are a bitch sometimes because the lines have to be lined up good to slide in and out of one another. You need to ensure the lines are straight with each other, which will require some wrestling with it then simultaneously wriggle the damn things apart. You'll need robotic fingers to mange enough pressure to do all this, or maybe a come-along. I thought about cutting mine out. When reinstalling make sure you hear or feel that couple click back in or it will leak. That part sucks too. Lining them up is the most important thing.

If the plastic thing won't work you can use Ford fuel line tools in place of it. They work better but the one one there should work.

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was wondering what you were talking about. An engine oil line goes into your radiator? My tranny lines run to a cooler up there but I didn't think anything went in the rad. I'm also not sure what model you got there. I know some ran an engine oil cooler(mine don't).

Your talking about the "quick" connect lines. The plastic piece should push into the coupling holding the two lines together. You have to push the plastic tool all the way into this coupling and you should feel some spring loaded resistance. That resistance is the tool releasing the couple grip on the free line. They are a bitch sometimes because the lines have to be lined up good to slide in and out of one another. You need to ensure the lines are straight with each other, which will require some wrestling with it then simultaneously wriggle the damn things apart. You'll need robotic fingers to mange enough pressure to do all this, or maybe a come-along. I thought about cutting mine out. When reinstalling make sure you hear or feel that couple click back in or it will leak. That part sucks too. Lining them up is the most important thing.

If the plastic thing won't work you can use Ford fuel line tools in place of it. They work better but the one one there should work.
Thanks. I've been working to try and twist the fitting around trying to get things lined up but have had no luck. How do you know it is lined up? Trial and error? Now I've broken the coolant bleed hose going from the expansion tank to the radiator trying to get this danged thing off. One step forward, two steps back it seems.

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
The tool doesn't have to be lined up in any way just shoved all the way I to the body of the coupling or line fitting. Then the lines them selves, if curled or whatever should try to be made in a straight line at the fitting to be able slide in and out of each other. If there's a side bind or twist in the line where it slides into the fitting it will bind up and be hard to separate.

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tool doesn't have to be lined up in any way just shoved all the way I to the body of the coupling or line fitting. Then the lines them selves, if curled or whatever should try to be made in a straight line at the fitting to be able slide in and out of each other. If there's a side bind or twist in the line where it slides into the fitting it will bind up and be hard to separate.
Thanks. Today I sprayed it with some brake cleaner and will try again tomorrow. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try some spray lubricant. If I still can't get it off then, I don't know what to do.

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got the line off. For me the trick was rinsing the quick release out with a little brake cleaner. Other thing is to push forward on the fitting before pulling the quick release back. Once pulled back you can then pull on the hose.

Now for the great news, I blew out the line and guess what I found? The little piece of paper towel! Thanks for all the help!

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Glad to hear you found it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.