Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Ex Manifold leak

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Badger1 
#1 ·
Had a what I thought was one exhauste leak and ended up having 2. I guess the noise from one covered the second one, both where the manifolds bolt to the pipes on both sides.

I replaced the gaskets no problem. I guess the previous owner must have had it for a while. When I test drove it to buy it seemed sluggish but I figured it was OK for an engine with 119k on it. No that I fixed the leak it seams that it has woken up and has power and punch. My best guess is because the exhauste was leaking prior to the O2 sensor that it was getting a bad read.

Any one else come to this conclusion?

#2 ·
So if you just bought this truck, check out and replace the plugs and wires, cap and rotor if you have one, fuel filter in the r/r wheel well and all your fluids including power steering and brakes, tranny, t/case and diffs as well as your swivel lube. By the way at your mileage your O2 sensors are failing if they haven't been changeds yet.
Have fun with this new truck.
Happy New Years,
Mike J.

#3 ·
That has been done. I bought it from a neighbor so I know the upkeep was good. The local indy Rover Mech did all the works on it as well.

O2 sensors look new but I will pull the records and see if they have been done. thanks for the heads up.

#4 ·
Certainly...

if you buy a used car give it a complete work over and change out the fluids (bumper to bumper). A little money but the piece of mind knowing the vehicle will have good maintance from here on out is worth it. Plus nice knowing when fluids need replacing. If you do it when you first get the truck, you can keep accurate records.

People can say they did before you bought it... but what kind of care goes into something when they are getting rid of it.

#5 ·
I have a leak (manifold), too. I changed out the passenger side... broke the rear bolt and all. Drove around a while and heard the same noise... damnit! I knew it was the stud I put into the rear because of the broken bolt. Turned out to be a crack on the drivers side. Here I go again!!!

I guess the crack was there but small. The passenger side must have been drowning it out.

I am not looking forward to the change. Not a big deal but I know "a" bolt will break and that is a pain in the butt (drilling in tight quarters)

I will soak this thing for a week with penetrating oil before I start... this time!

#6 ·
texasrover said:
I have a leak (manifold), too. I changed out the passenger side... broke the rear bolt and all. Drove around a while and heard the same noise... damnit! I knew it was the stud I put into the rear because of the broken bolt. Turned out to be a crack on the drivers side. Here I go again!!!

I guess the crack was there but small. The passenger side must have been drowning it out.

I am not looking forward to the change. Not a big deal but I know "a" bolt will break and that is a pain in the butt (drilling in tight quarters)

I will soak this thing for a week with penetrating oil before I start... this time!

Hey texasrover have you tried using PB blaster? The stuff is amazing at breaking stuck bolts loose, better than anything I have ever tried! You can pick it up at any Auto Zone and will make life alot easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.