Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, nice site!

My truck is due for MOT tomorrow and I'm thinking it's going to fail on the steering. There is about an inch and a half of play at the steering wheel which contributes heavily to the vehicle wandering all over the road. Is this a ball joint problem or can it be rectified by tightening the steering box adjuster? I've read about this but don't know if it's the cure to my exact problem and as it's so hard to get to I thought I'd better ask first! Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sunking101,
Whenever I've seen a series truck with loose steering, it's usually the locknut on the drop arm off the steering relay. I've actually seen one truck where it was hand loose :eek: .
In any case, it could be the ball joints as well.

I'd suggest the following. Jack the truck up and put jack stands under the front axle. Have a pal turn the wheel while you check for loose components. With no load on the steering, it should be pretty easy to see.

Tightening the adjuster is another possibility, but I'd say that the ball joints and drop arms are a more likely culprit.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
317 Posts
sunking101,
Tie rod ends are easy enough to replace...remember to soak everything in penetrating solution and use the two hammer trick to pop off the end from the eye.
As far as the brakes, hmm, if you have a series 3, I think some of them had a proportioning valve, not sure. Other than that, everything should operate in sync out of the box, so I'd say you either have a bad flex line (esp, for example, if the rear two aren't engaging properly) or a bad cylinder or two. Also, someone might have installed the springs wrong, leading to bad performance.
When replacing the wheel bearing, just follow the green bible. You'll just need that big hub nut socket.

Bogatyr

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
I think it is easyer to understand women that Series brakes.

I had the problem of my brakes not locking in sink thus the truck veering off to the left when braking. Here is my learnings.

1) It the truck goes left it means one of the left side brakes is actully working. The other side brakes does not work so there is no resistance on those wheels when braking. (same for veering to the right side.)

2) Check all brake lines (seel and flex) The steel ones might have been dented by stones and thus create bottel necks. Replace if this is the case. The flew ones might have become soft and would actually bulge under preasure (Open wide and not let the fluid througt to the brakes, Replace.

3) Check for oil from your wheel berings leaking into the drums.

4) Check if the drums are not over size or the brake shoes undersize. Thus they are not making contact correctly.

5) on SIII's It is possible to set each brake induvidually. The Hayes Manual describe this process in detail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.