Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 Rover Classic
What is the setup for the stock center muffler heat shield, to protect the floor?? Are there aftermarket units avaliable?? I recently had a hole in the top of the center muffler, and guess what, the carpet mat (foam or rubber mat) under the rear floor carpet melts,smokes and smells really bad. Is there a solution for this potential "hot problem"?? :beer:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Irvin said:
92 Rover Classic
What is the setup for the stock center muffler heat shield, to protect the floor?? Are there aftermarket units avaliable?? I recently had a hole in the top of the center muffler, and guess what, the carpet mat (foam or rubber mat) under the rear floor carpet melts,smokes and smells really bad. Is there a solution for this potential "hot problem"?? :beer:
I've heard of some folks going to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchasing a piece of alluminum (or some metal sheet) and attaching it to the top of the muffler. The original heat shields are over $70 (jeesh).

Why not replace the muffler at a local Midas shop? I have a flowmaster muffler and a straight pipe in the rear section and it's really not that loud.

Good luck,

John C.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John C

John C said:
I've heard of some folks going to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchasing a piece of alluminum (or some metal sheet) and attaching it to the top of the muffler. The original heat shields are over $70 (jeesh).

Why not replace the muffler at a local Midas shop? I have a flowmaster muffler and a straight pipe in the rear section and it's really not that loud.

Good luck,

John C.
THanks for the info. I've had the center muffler replaced, in fact the center muffler was a lifetime warranty stainless unit. I'm worried about future problems and general summer heat plus hot exhaust getting north into passenger compartment. I did more research and found that Atlantic British has a $59 replacement. Thanks!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just replaced the same part on my 95' LWB - ordered mine from Atlantic British as well. Good luck - definitely need one, rear carpet will start to burn otherwise

1 - 5 of 5 Posts