Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a new coolant expansion tank on my 08 LR3 because the original tank's float stopped floating thus sending a false low coolant warning to the car's message center. I pinched off the hoses to the old expansion tank before disconnecting and refilled the new tank before reopening the hoses so there shouldn't have been any air introduced into the system as a result of the swap.
My question is, what exactly is that bleeder screw on the expansion tank for and should I be using it to bleed the new tank?
Tanks in advance! :wink

·
Registered
52 Posts
On page 3 of the maintenance manual (Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding (26.10.01)) they claim you open it when refilling after an engine coolant drain. We only left the filler cap off and kept squeezing the hoses until all the air was gone, never touched the bleed screw. That was on a 2007 LR3 4.0L V6, yours may be different...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve left it alone. The plastic screw set in plastic threads is worrisome to me given it’s a pressurized system. I agree with the cap off the bleeder serves no purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts