Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just finished replacing the head gaskets and machined heads on my discovery. Also replaced the expansion tank, hoses, t-stat (soft spring), and radiator.

I've only driven it a few miles, and the temp is holding around 200. It's runs well (throwing a p0300 random misfire every once in awhile).

I did a block test on it and it shows no gases from the expansion tank.

The only strange thing I've noticed is that after letting it cool overnight, when I opened the expansion tank to add a little bit more coolant, there was some pressure in the system. The coolant rose about an inch in the tank when I opened it, and it definitely let off some pressure.

I'm thinking this is okay because the system is made to hold pressure and it's not a bad thing that it held on to it, but wanted to know everyone else's thoughts

Help is very much appreciated!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well the coolant does pressurize when it gets hot. When it does cool down, it might not always go to the same pressure, if ever. If it still has pressure, your cooling system is well sealed. Or it could mean that you have a internal leak only when then the engine is hot that add some pressure and reseals when it cools down.

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
You may have an air bubble remaining in the cooling system, or you may have an air leak somewhere.

Don't panic, but keep an eye on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.