Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, Im new here and very happy with the website.
Im a newby to land rover, only owned one for 26 months and just started upgrading things like shocks and tires. Next on th list are lift, hannibal rack and front and rear steel bumpers, pull out shackle and tow straps and satin black (with clear coat) painted hood for bling.

Now a week ago I rolled up to my friends house to check out his viviting parent new jeep sahara.
It had a rancho 2 in lift and 265 70 16 BFG at TA tires just like I have, but I didnt have the tires mounted at the time. I had street tires on.
Well, When I pulled up, they said, what are you driving that thing for? Why dont you get a real truck......."
I sighed and shrugged it off.
I hadnt seen these people in a long time and just wanted to ease into my hello. lol
So we spent 45 minutes checking out his limited edition sahara jeep unlimited and my friends dad told me how this jeep stock is set up and able to climb the rubicon trail.
I said cool man.
Never did they ask me about what I have rolled over in my 2000 discovery.
So my question is,
How do you handle people that think land rovers are just nice luxury suv's?
I come off strong and dont want to alienate people.
I want to see more rovers on the road.
They make for cooler people. LOL

Thanks.
Keep in mind im on my 4th coors lol!!

Mark
2000 Disco

·
4,576 Posts
LOL...Ignorant is the word! The Disco, in my opinion, probably only quilifies for "luxury" because of the leather, everything else is plastic and cloth. The guys at work cringe when they tell them i take my LAND ROVER off road. They look at me like im some sort of nut(being 18, they also think im some kid who doesn't know what he's doin)! People forget that Land Rovers are LAND...ROVERS! <Hence the Name of the brand!..lol. In stock form, they are better than anything else out there! Even the newer LR3 is better equipped then any other truck, and now they added the Diesel engine to their engine line-up!

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Hailsharky this is a great post. And anyone drinking Coors while hanging on LRO must be a pretty cool guy! On your mods, I would again suggest the rock sliders. I can't emphasize enough how important these are on Discos. But sounds like you've got a killer rig in the making.

It's tough to handle folks who have a poor image of LRs. Just shows their ignorance of the history of wheelin'. However, consider this: LR seems to have lost sight of it as well. I am a huge fan of the LR3 & new Rangies,,, these vehicles meet popular demand and make money for LR, keeping 'em in business. They introduce new folks to the LR brand. BUT,,, there isn't currently a true off-roader available in the US. Can't get Defenders and the new ones are apparently going to be toned down beyond what we would recognize as a Defender. LRs official website doesn't have much on off-roading, LR history, etc. The new LR/Ford view seems very one-dimensional. SO,,, as LR enthusiasts & LR wheelers, we've got an uphill battle.

Best way I've found to deal with it is to find a good LR club in your area. Go on trips with them whenever you can. Wheel, hang-out, and chat with fellow LR enthusiasts. Can't go wrong there. Get out to the Nat'l Rally if you can. Etc. Then you don't have to worry about Jeep people "not getting it". CO is a Jeepin' mecca and I've found for the most part that the Jeep folks I run into are pretty cool & give respect when they see you on the trail. Many are surprised with LRs capability. If they're not,,,well,,,it's an LR THING,,,THEY WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

All I can say is no other stock vehicle as capable. I'll take stock Disco over stock Jeep any day. Disco w/ CLD even over a Rubi. Jeepers out there would say I'm nuts but I never cease to be amazed by stock, or close-to-stock Disco capability,,,,see "Snow White" thread for some killer Aussie rut pics.

We've got Poison Spyder out here & High Country and all kinds of tubular super-modified Jeeps. Put that same money into a series or 90 and you wouldn't only conquer the same obsticles,,,you would look way cooler doing it. :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

PS- you'll DESTROY that Sahara in your Disco. "Set up to run Rubicon trail"? What does that mean? Rubicon is how you take it. You can run it stock in an XJ,,,,or you can take it mean with tubed-out beast mobiles,,,shows you how much they know about wheelin'.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
01001010 said:
LOL...Ignorant is the word! The Disco, in my opinion, probably only quilifies for "luxury" because of the leather, everything else is plastic and cloth. The guys at work cringe when they tell them i take my LAND ROVER off road. They look at me like im some sort of nut(being 18, they also think im some kid who doesn't know what he's doin)! People forget that Land Rovers are LAND...ROVERS! <Hence the Name of the brand!..lol. In stock form, they are better than anything else out there!
Damn JC we are running on same mental wavelength tonight,,, :wave:

·
4,576 Posts
SCSL seems to have knocked out the Jeepster, he's down...1...2...3...4, Jeepster struggles to getup 5, 6, 7, 8, Jeepster falls back down, 9, 10...ITS ALL OVER FOLKS, SCSL has terminated the Jeepster!! LRS are the ULTIMATE CHAMPION of the WORL!!...LR, do you have anything to say??..."Yes i do...I LOVE YOU ADRIAAAAAAANNN"...LOL..ok, i should mention that im sick and all the meds haveme super lightheaded!..lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What got me, was I had thoughts of papa joe asking me where I have been in my rover. Nothing.
He has owned super modified suburbans that looked like monster trucks back in the 90's when it was new to lift your suburban. He owned a Military M1 troop carrier and restored that bugger.
I was amazed to hear he had a jeep.
Its the smallest vehicle he has owned.

As far as the rock sliders I was going to google that tonight as well as pirate land rover forums.
After this sight I am so into my rover again.
And yeah, I def checked out the snow white thread. That disco has awsome suspention.
But I wonder how rovers with that low of drop handle on the freeway.......?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW SCSL, are you near Fort Collins CO?

I have a old friend there.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Hailsharky said:
As far as the rock sliders I was going to google that tonight
Try www.safarigard.com , www.rovertym.com , www.get-rhino.com

After this sight I am so into my rover again.
addiction is tough habit to break :D :dunno: :buttrock:

And yeah, I def checked out the snow white thread. That disco has awsome suspention.
I'm not sure what his suspension set-up is, perhaps our Aussie friend can comment. But I'm sure he's fine on-road. I'm running SG Stage III suspension with ludicrous drop, no sways (recently removed), 33's, etc.... and am happy to sacrifice the road handling for the off-road capability. Took a few days to get used to the sways being removed but I drive the Disco pretty conservatively so wasn't much of an adjustment. Feels a little tippy on turns but you just adjust,,,

No I'm not near "the Fort". I'm down in Castle Rock. 'Bout 2 hour drive from the Fort. We'll meet up on a trail somewheres in between. Let me know when you are out here. :drink1:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Hailsharky said:
I just looked at those awesome Aussie pics again & I'm pretty sure V8 Agro is running stock suspension, possibly OME.

V8 Agro, if you're out there, pls confirm?

Hailsharky, it just backs up the point about how capable LRs are in stock, or near-stock, form.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Makes me think how sick rovers are.

I had my rover in some gnarly positions before but I couldnt open the doors because of the frame twist.

I was with my dog so nobody to take the pics, lol

Thanks for the info. and links,

I had to ask, because I have a friend named Kenny N that seems to know everyone in CO. LOL
He is a big offroader.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Only one way to handle this one!

Challenge them to come with you to a trail!!!

I have destroyed a couple of "fancy new" 4 wheel drives with my Landy!!

I dont stand back for any ignorant Basterd that tells me that his 4x4 is better than mine! I tell them straight to come and proof it!
about 75% backs out of the conversation, the other 25% takes me on and usually comes off 2nd best.

A while ago me and three mates (two of us with S III and one with a 110 defender) werwe sitting in a pub having a couple of cold ones.
Well in came a couple of other guys and we started chatting about 4x4's. On hearing we drive Landys the one guy remared " it is the worst 4 by 4 by far"
After we nearly took him apart I challenged him to put his money where his mouth is. He laughed ad said I would outperform his Mithbishi Pajero. (Yep the same tipe of car that won the Paris to Dacar rally something like 6 times.)

Well of we went to a track to play follow the leader, Mithibishi up front.
Three landys and a Jeep Cherokee.
When the mitchbishi got stuck I simply passed him, (going through the mub hole he got stuck in and then towed him out.

Won a cool 100 bucks that day.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Moeras said:
Well of we went to a track to play follow the leader, Mithibishi up front.
Three landys and a Jeep Cherokee.
When the mitchbishi got stuck I simply passed him, (going through the mub hole he got stuck in and then towed him out.

Won a cool 100 bucks that day.
Awesome!!! :drink1:

·
Registered
492 Posts
What a con Mitsubishi is, like the rally Mitsubishi looks like what you buy in the shops

Here is a shot of Masouka of Mitsubishi during the Desert Challenge last year, oh and by the way our private Land Rover team came in 7th beating Stephane Peterhansel of Misubishi and several other members of works teams who had millions of $ behind them

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Hailsharky I just saw a book in a bookstore the other day called the Four-Wheelers Bible, or 4x4 Bible, something like that. Written by a former LR off-road instructer. Pretty solid book, worth picking it up. When discussing building up a trail rig he had a great line that the steps are: 1) safety & recovery,,,,2) traction & clearance,,,3) everything else / advanced gear that you may or may not need depending on your wheeling like lockers & axles. Check this book out (great pics too)

·
Registered
492 Posts
And just to keep up with Land Rover content, here is the 110 Breadvan, streamlined as a brick that came in 7th in 2004 and 5th in 2003 with very limited sponsorship covering only spares.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.