Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to repaint my D1 very soon, as the rust spots around the alpine windows continue to grow and the sun keeps eating away at the hood and roof. Im looking to do the job myself as I have some experience. But I was interested in giving the exterior some sort of finish that will withstand getting beat up through the Florida, rootfilled, swamps. I was thinking about something like a Gelcoat, similar to that of boats. I was also interestedin learning about the finish military vehicles have on their exteriors. Can anyone shed some light on these two finishes? Paint techniques? Blends? Anything really!...

Thanks

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, through LandRoverNet.com, I was able to find a site selling NATO Matt Green, Black, and Light Stone (Desert). Tons of useful info on that forum when it comes to Military Landies. I'm still curious though, how many, if any, advantages does this NATO paint have over regualr paint. I might end up doing that anyway, since I love the look, but can it take a bigger beating than regular paint before showing wear and tear?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Turd Turd Turd!

Hey there ole down south buddy, it's Jen sneaking on Lee Ann's name, she said you had questions regarding military paint...and that I know a little something about. :)

For the rust around your alpine windows...grind this mess down, use a good filller to smooth out as needed before painting. Prep the rest of the body as usual.

Now for a heavy duty primer; the military uses an epoxy ordnance primer which is some good stuff! Adheres like a mutha and will protect that metal for a long time to come.

The military paint itself is also very heavy duty. But of course, it's a flat finish so it ain't real pretty unless you like that military/beater look. I'm not sure if you can add a clear or other shiner product to the mix but I'll ask monday and find out more. The paint and the primer both use a military specific catalyst as well.

I'm not sure if you can buy the military paint outright. But Sherwin Williams has a military division that handles this particular type of paint. If you are ever up in Tampa I can get you whatever you need at cost. I have plenty of it on the shelf. Olive drab, tan, black, all the boring ole military colors. Sprays on just like any other paint.

Where I work, we use PPG paints for regular applications. A typical base/clear should be pretty strong. I'll have to check into which is tougher, acrylic enamel, etc. One thing I can strongly attest to is to wax wax wax. Wax will prevent more scratches than you could imagine. I never wax because my paint was pretty much oxidized crap and covered with overspray from work. After our Anti-Rally in Ocala I came back looking MUCH worse than ever. Huge gouges and deep grooves from all the brush. My friend waxed the crap outta his truck before he left and his paint looks like nothing ever touched it. And if you are thinking of a color change, dark colors will show the scratches much worse than lighter colors, so consider all options.

Hollar back if you have any other questions,
Jen

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JENNN!!!!!!..lolol

Man, its like the thread lights up when you respond!..lol

You know, I'm in the auto industry myself down here but dont trust anyone enough to do the job, but if where you work this can be done, I guess I'll be spending a few days in Tampa meeting you and the rest of the FLRC folks and getting my truck painted! I was reading about the sherman williams military stuff, but to keep the British theme going, the NATO stuff is what I prefer. Crap, I forgot to post the site where I found the Surplus stuff...

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

They have the primers and all there, so if you could quickly go on there and let me know what it is I need I'd definately owe ya a cold one!..lol

And yes, I do like that beater look. And you know, I TOTALLY forgot about the darker colors showin scratches...Aside from what you tell me, I'll have to do some research as to what I can do to avod this.

Jen, you ROCK!!! :buttrock:

Good to see ya duders, I was startin to miss ya! I guess it's also "ma bad" for not postin on the FLRC board :rolleyes: lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.