Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 disco likes to read high temps while driving (almost pegged out) but some WEIRD things don't add up.

If temp reads hot I can shut engine off and then turn to the on position and temp reads normal.

Also while driving I notice that blinkers and brake pedal usage seems to increase temp reading

Now for the really bizarre. If im reading hot and pull the E-Brake handle (like while stopped at red light) the temp gauge comes down to normal

It seems related to the electrics. Any ideas??????

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
A wise man would stop driving it till he verified the problem, that engine can not take heat well. Have you verified that both the electric fans nad your viscus clutch are working per specs?
Do you have a scanner with real time readings so you can actually plug into the OBD2 port and read the real temps, have you been having to add coolant? Do or have this done before you drive it again.
Let me know what you find?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike for the response. Yesterday I was able to hook up a scanguageII to it and run it down the road. Temps were good. I talked to some people this week and we have concluded it's possibly a ground issue. So I will start with that and check all grounds.

I'll post my findings

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved but not sure how. I replaced the starter the other day and noticed the heat shield had been rubbing the oxygen sensor wire. That may have been the cause or perhaps just a ground issue somewhere around there.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have noticed that when I turn on the headlights which illuminates the instrument cluster, the temp gauge rises a bit. Its British electronics....

I ignore that gauge anyways now and installed the Ultra Gauge to display the actual temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts