Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 Landrover Discovery td5 series 2. The radiator fan centre pulley is making worn bearing type noises and has a fair bit of bearing play when I grab the fan and give it a wiggle. Is this pulley replaceable or is it attached to the water pump?. I can't seem to work it out by looking at it without taking the covers off. I tried to find a utube video in replacing the fan pulley and water pump but not able to find one for the series 2 td5. Any utube links or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Tass

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
If your fan is moving, it is most likely the water pump. You could probably get new bearings for it, but you are best just to get a complete pump.
Look for a download of the RAVE CD. it has all the workshop manuals for Land Rover and Range rover.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi, I have a 2001 Landrover Discovery td5 series 2. The radiator fan centre pulley is making worn bearing type noises and has a fair bit of bearing play when I grab the fan and give it a wiggle. Is this pulley replaceable or is it attached to the water pump?. I can't seem to work it out by looking at it without taking the covers off. I tried to find a utube video in replacing the fan pulley and water pump but not able to find one for the series 2 td5. Any utube links or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Tass
You should find this site helpful (see below) for not only your current problem but many others like the oil pump bolt TD5 anomaly. The cooling fan wobbling most likely is a faulty water pump. Do not drive the vehicle until you repair the issue or you will overheat the engine. It's not uncommon for the shaft to pull out and send your fan flying about the compartment, bust the hood, damage the radiator, everything will go wrong.

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/waterpump.html

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/workshop.html

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know there's a danger of the water pump bearing failing catastrophically and causing the fan to fly off and cause a lot of damage, including taking out the radiator, but I don't think a failing bearing would necessarily cause the truck to overheat otherwise. After all if the pump is still turning and the impeller is still working the coolant is flowing just as it always has. The catastrophic failure is the bigger risk, I think.

That said I agree the truck should not be driven, or should be driven minimally, before replacing the water pump.

The good news is that it's not a difficult job. Just take care to follow the procedures in the RAVE and clean the front cover mating surface carefully.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.