Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new here,I am a new owner of a 2001 disco 2 4.0 and we are in love.lol.I got it from a customer of mine for trade for work.They said they took it to rr dealer told them intake leak.So after ruuning for 30 mins noticed a puddle under the range.Slide up under and could clearly see coolant leaking from rear of head gasket broken head bolt #10 rave and #8 atlantic British.So head gasket replaced runs great coolant temp highway to stop and go 188 to 199 is this good?Anyway off topic.I'm in ca and need smog to complete reg.Took it on my first test drive today a good 40 mile turn around as soon as I pull in the drive way.Good old cel codes first off of course three amigos there off when I start it but 20 feet in drive and there on and stay on.What are some things to check first for this issue,did a little searching.And then the other codes I am using the elm obdii reader Stored codes p1590 amigos and P0154 o2 sensors is there some things I can too do before replacing sensor.The last code is under pending p0441 purge valve does this mean bad valve???Any help would be greatly appreciated this will be our daily diver kids to school and the yearly trip to the snow.

Thanks in addvance;:drink1:

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Your post is a bit tough to follow because of the formatting but hopefully I can help out a bit:

1. Operating temps of 188-199 are good. What are you using to read the temps?

2. P1590/Three Amigos is usually related to the ABS pump. Usually the shuttle valve seals fail which allows brake fluid into the modulator where it can damage the wiring. A new set of shuttle seals (Falconworks, $44) and the "option B" fix usually resolves it. check the sticky at the top of the forum for details. You'll still need an ABS scanner to clear the codes/see if there is any other problem since the codes usually don't clear automatically.

3. P0154 - Front passenger O2 sensor. Common problem depending on mileage. Sometimes the cause is oil/coolant that has leaked into the electrical connector so disconnect the plug and clean it with some MAF spray to see if it doesn't help. If the code stays it's likely that the sensor has failed. Usually its good practice to replace all 4 sensors at the same time, especially if you need to pass smog. Use ONLY OEM-style BOSCH sensors. Best price for these is on Amazon where you can get all 4 for under $200. You need 2 front, 2 rear.

4. P0441 - A lot of us have struggled with EVAP codes including this one. If you're lucky you can get away with just swapping out the purge solenoid (it's identical to a Hyundai part which you can get for like $30 - just do some research) but sometimes there's an actual leak in the purge line which will force you to trace the lines/smoke test, etc.

Good luck, the D2 is a very good car as long as you stay on top of maintenance and repairs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum! Your post is a bit tough to follow because of the formatting but hopefully I can help out a bit:

1. Operating temps of 188-199 are good. What are you using to read the temps?

2. P1590/Three Amigos is usually related to the ABS pump. Usually the shuttle valve seals fail which allows brake fluid into the modulator where it can damage the wiring. A new set of shuttle seals (Falconworks, $44) and the "option B" fix usually resolves it. check the sticky at the top of the forum for details. You'll still need an ABS scanner to clear the codes/see if there is any other problem since the codes usually don't clear automatically.

3. P0154 - Front passenger O2 sensor. Common problem depending on mileage. Sometimes the cause is oil/coolant that has leaked into the electrical connector so disconnect the plug and clean it with some MAF spray to see if it doesn't help. If the code stays it's likely that the sensor has failed. Usually its good practice to replace all 4 sensors at the same time, especially if you need to pass smog. Use ONLY OEM-style BOSCH sensors. Best price for these is on Amazon where you can get all 4 for under $200. You need 2 front, 2 rear.

4. P0441 - A lot of us have struggled with EVAP codes including this one. If you're lucky you can get away with just swapping out the purge solenoid (it's identical to a Hyundai part which you can get for like $30 - just do some research) but sometimes there's an actual leak in the purge line which will force you to trace the lines/smoke test, etc.

Good luck, the D2 is a very good car as long as you stay on top of maintenance and repairs.
Thanks for the reply:buttrock:
So I had the abs codes read today this what i got ;Connectors c504,ecm,c637 (b) Open circut -c637/34 (RG) to c504/4 (RG) from what I have read these codes are related to the shuttle valve.Will the abs code clear it self after shuttle valve is repaired???

02 sensor connector clean I order new ones along with purge valve.Gues we will see if this clears my code.
thanks

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
The ABS codes *usually* don't self-clear, especially if you've had a hard set at some point. Basically if they're on all the time before the fix then you'll probably need a reader to clear them. However if they're intermittent (off when you start the car, then come on after a while) they'll usually clear themselves if you've done the fix correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.