Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, after painstaking hours of trying to decypher(sp?) the hella wiring guide, which is almost impossible to decern, i got my lights up and working. The switch is mounted flush w/ the push-buttons to the left of the pop-out cup holders on the dash console. It looks awsome. I also found some other stuff I'd been wondering about while underneath my 95 disco. I found my axle breathers, discovered I have rancho 9000's in the rear(adjustable, and if anyone knows how, let me know pls), and that the driveshafts are extreamly dinky compared to some of my friends rigs(early 90's toyota 4x4, dodge ram, etc). Anyone know why they're so small compared to the others?

- Yours Truely, AppStateDisco

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
A few good tips with the Hella 500s.....

Hi there from Adam in NYC.

I got a 96 D1 with the Hella 500 round driving lights. I originally had the larger FF1000s but one of the top hardware clips fell apart and the Hella hardware clip is impossible to find.

Two tips for the Hella 500s if you have them on the front bullbar.

One tip is for the alignment of the lights. I turn them on in a darkened level parking lot and then align the focus of the beams to the top edge beam of the headlights' pattern. I point them to fill in the beam side by side down the middle of the beam pattern of the original headlights. The resulting beam pattern then works great when you are on the country road or suburban highway and the beam pattern hits the overhead signs just the right way without zapping the oncoming drivers vision.

Second tip regarding the Hella 500 black and white covers. Hella ships the 500s with white opaque headlight covers . Most Hella distributors don't carry those clear all important optional stone shields for the 500s. I tried to get them but they are always "out-of-stock".

Finally, someone on eBay was auctioning just the white covers so I got another pair and when they arrived, I cut the name region "Hella" out of the stone covers. I cut into them holes of a rectangular pattern. The beam holes then further limits the beam dispersal to just up front of the vehicle. Great for signage and just down the lane you are driving in. When you are looking at them, the lights have a friendly glow with the white covers when viewed off-axis.

Photos 5 and 6 show the patterns with and without the 500s with the pattern and the covers. Sorry for the resolution, I was using my Treo 650.

· Registered
490 Posts
I have the great pleasure of tackling this task myself... tonight! I just picked up a Brush bar with the Hellas. What is the best way to wire those boys up? All I see is wires. Can I rig up a under dash switch? I did not get a diagram with it. :confused

Any help would be great.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
me and my friends bypassed hooking it upto the battery. We just ran the yellow wire, coming from the switchbox, through the firewall on the left side of the engine bay right up against the firewall, should be a hole there. The switch is glued in the button tray next to the cup holders(this is a 95 disco). You can take that whole bottom tray assembly out, via about 4 or 5 screws in the back once you take out the cig holder and button tray right under the air control unit. If you unscrew the little black ring on the back of the light switch, it fits perfectly. Then take wire up the green(i think?) wire upto a fuse, i used a 30amp fuse, and run it right under the steering wheel. You'll have to take that stirofoam(sp?) out. Sorry I don't have any pics, maybe I'll get a new cam. soon and have some up for ya. good luck mate.

- AppStateDisco

· Registered
490 Posts
I am going to give it a good try this evening. Working or not... they will look good just sitting there (well for the mean time anyways).

Thanks for your advice. I have a 98 but I am better not much is different under that hood when it comes to lighting.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Daylight Photos of 96 D1 w/ Moded 500 Covers

You can install the lights two different ways: the one I suggest is that you use a heavy duty relay and use heavy wiring for those lights when you really need them. Steer the lights separately or in conjunction with your headlights switch.

If and when you can, try to find the wiring harness that comes with your lights so you can have the most satisfaction possible.

Adam in NYC :drive:

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Yep...

Get pTunes, Butler and Phone Technician for the best software.

· Too much money,not enough sense
148 Posts
Whatta coincidience..I wired up my hellas last nite too

:buttrock:

· Too much money,not enough sense
148 Posts
No,

cornering beams outer...euro beams inner...Cibie pencils on the bumper and 2 hella ff work lamps underneath for spotting...Oh and a Hellas dual bulb work lamp on the rear of the roof rack...

Marcus

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
DAYUMM!! Nice rig man. My disco is envious, and so is the owner.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rock on, bitchin' disco man. looks great.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Pictures please.......

huh?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.