Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I am have a problem with my fuel delivery.

It started a week ago when the I started the truck on two seperate cool damp days and the truck idled poorly, sputtering and rattling. Once warmed up, the truck ran perfectly on both occasions. I had assumed bad plug wires or a coil issue, I saw that one lead had come out of it's socket and was laying on valve cover so I moved it.

The next day (dry and hot) I was driving down the highway loving my truck when it suddenly lost power, it was a very gradual slow down, engine misfiring and occaisonal sputter. I did not detect a bang or other mechanical sound.

When I tried to start the truck it would sputter, rough idle low for a couple seconds then die. This continued for a while, I got towed home.

At home I have confirmed that I do have spark so ruled out Crank Sensor. I checked for voltage at fuel pump and found that when cranking I had voltage. I replaced fuel pump (whole assembly) and still no go. After this I checked more closely and noticed that I do get power to pump while cranking, but not in Position 2 (no priming). The relay does not seem to be tripping in Pos2. I have swapped the relays around (for some reason 3 of my yellow relays are the same part number) and symptoms do not change at all.

I have no codes, engine cranks, will start using starting spray, does occasionnaly fire to life with low rough start but dies almost immediately.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First of all, have you replace your old wire set with some 8 mm silicone wires, what color are the wires and how many miles on the truck?
A crank sensor could still be the issue, they normally don't throw a fault code and it can also shut off the fuel supply.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck has 180,000 km ( 110,000 miles). The wires are blue and were changed by PO, they all appear in good condition.

But I do have spark, I pulled a plug and set it on the IM. It sparks while cranking. And the truck will start with spray. I thought if the crank sensor goes you get no spark.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
OK, then 2 things.
1 you can not tell the condition of plug wires from looking at them.
2 you still need a crank sensor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, will order both. They just look pretty new and are 8mm.

I just didn't realize that I could still have spark with a crank sensor being gone, thought it killed both.

Hopefully the crank sensor solves things as I am running out of money and ideas. Just moved across the country and funds are right until wifey gets a new job...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Most parts store carry the crank sensor, as for the wires, 8 mm blue are usually the best I just wanted you to know the only true test is with a OHM meter. In your case, if you haven't had a rough running and or misfire codes leave them alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts