Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my Disco today...1996, 117k, started and ran fine on the test drive...has the usual issues you would suspect with a 9 year old vehicle, CEL illuminated (throwing o2 codes), coolant hoses appear to be 9 years old...ok...brakes need bleeding...whatever.

So I get the thing home and decide to run down and get her some gas as the low fuel light is on. Get to the station, put in $15 and head on over to NAPA to get a few oil filters and some gear oil. Start her up, and no more than 1/2 mile from there, sputter, sputter...dead...can't get her running again.

I find it most coincidental that this happened after getting her some gas. My initial thought is that the tank was so empty that whatever crud was in the bottom was sent up into the fuel filter and clogged it right up...could also be the pump I guess.

So, tomorrow's task is to troubleshoot...test for voltage at the pump, fuel in the rail etc. Sheesh, I thought I had my list of repairs all set on this truck...then she throws me a curve ball...

Bogatyr

·
MG
771 Posts
Congratulations on the new Disco! Curveballs are a specialty...

Ditto on the fuel filter.

Mine would sputter out, but then start up a few hours later: do you know if the fuel pump has ever been replaced - it could be the problem, too.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the congrats.

Did some work and some troubleshooting over the weekend on the truck. As it turns out, I could hear the fuel pump operate, and I had fuel in the rail, so that wasn't it. However, when I inspected this multifunction relay between the charcoal canister and the washer reservoir, I could see some wires that looked corroded...then as as test, I got her to fire up and wiggled those wires...truck promptly died...ok, so that's my problem...heh, or *one* of my problems...

But, I got the oil changed, freed up the tcase/CDL linkage and did some cleaning here and there...inspected the back brakes...gotta change those...and hit everything with PBBlaster that I intend to wrench upon...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
55 Posts
You might have already answered this, but were is the relay located? I know you said between the charcoal canister and the washer fluid, but heck if I know were the charcoal canister is. I am total noob, but not for long :D

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Look to the back right hand corner of your engine bay, by the firewall. You see the engine ECU in the corner, and just forward of it is a small, black wedge shaped plastic box. That's your multifunction relay. Two multi pin connectors going into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.