Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:buttrock: i made it took the landy to work today 123 mile round trip on the m25 ther loads of hills steady 55 t0 65 mph useing pleanty of over drive :drive: all whent ok no radio yet so some ear ringing . the temp was getting high and my rocker cover gaskit started leaking still good .on way home ive noticed noise at 53mph to 60mph high pitch gearbox noise go"s away under that speed or over 60 is this right i no thay make all sorts of sounds maybe lack of sound proffing or gearbox dieing :dunno: she made that trip on £18 wouth of diesal and once home i found out resion running high temp was radiator is part cold so need to get that sorted a.s.a.p and sorry to go on but ive changed all the front steering joints but still got some play any idears??? thanks and sorry 4 any bad spelling ....jay

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
log burner said:
ive changed all the front steering joints but still got some play any idears
The 2 split bushings in your steering relay (the part that goes through the front crossmember) may be worn out, but at the very least, dry. That is the often a source of steering play. Other sources can be swivel pins too loose, and ball joints, which you seemed to have eliminated. Mway driving at 55-60 is real white-knuckle fun, huh?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
109 series 3

hi yer sorry shes a 78 109 series 3 . its madness :banana: u get used to the weaveing thers a knack to keeping it in a straght line. ive looked a at the relay and thers no up or down play or side to side i look at the oil today so no oil in the relay can cause the play? ive even ajusted the box all that is left is relay and them couple of joints off the box its my first landy so this is a whole new way of driveing.... cheers all :drink1:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Generally what happens is they loose their lubrication, rain water gets in and the shaft gets rusty, then the rust grinds away the fibre bushings.
I took mine (years ago) apart, and drilled the shaft out down to the center, about 1/8" hole, and threaded in a grease nipple.
My first wife used to love to drive the 88, she said they look of terror in the eyes of people coming at her made her day. She got pretty good at keeping to her side of the road. Damn, I miss that girl.... Oh, Not the wife, my old 88.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.