Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a highschool student looking to invest in a Land Rover as my first car. The problem is not deciding on what SUV I want, but on how to convince my parents that the Land Rover Discovery II SE 7 (1999) is worth the investment. If you guys could help me by naming a couple of high (ie. good interior, nice ride)and lows points (ie. leaking fluids, maintnance costs) of a Land Rover it would be very appreciated. I really want to be driving a Land Rover, and any help in this worthy cause would be appreciated. I know all of you once had a first car, and I am really looking forward to mine no matter what it is.

Also:
Forgot to add that the LR is $14,447, $2,000 under the Kelley Blue Book Value.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I hope I am not shunned from the LRO family for saying this, but...

A 1999 Disco II is NOT an ideal vehicle for a highschool student.

1) Maintenance is going to kill you unless you have weathly parents or a meth lab.
1a) If you have really wealthy parents, I am sure they would buy you a more expensive/newer vehicle.
2) Gas mileage is horrible, you should save your money to spend on the honeys
3) Insurance is expensive. The D2 has a lot of glass on it, the insurance companies rates reflect this.
4) Did I mention maintenance??? $$$$$$$$$

Should have mentioned, my first vehicle was an 86 Chevy Caprice Classic (40K miles on it), then I bought an 89 Lebaron Turbo, then I bought an 86 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer, then a 93 Jeep Cherokee Country, then a 97 Audi A4 Quattro, then a 2000 Audi S4 Quattro, then a 99 Audi A6 Avant (gave to wifer) now my 02 Disco 2. This is by far the most expensive vehicle I have had to own.

·
2,986 Posts
I had a $2k Jeep Wagoneer Ltd as my first car.. engine died after a year..

02disco2 is right though, its expensive.. the only really upsides are
A) good offroading
B) luxury vehicle and
C) relatively easy to work on...

as for the downsides,
A) gas
B) repairs (sometimes you get lucky, but i'd say 2 out of 3 rovers have a lot of repairs to do)
C) services (the 60k service cost me $1100 at the dealership)
D) insurance (cost me $5400 to first insure it when i was 23 & in NJ!)
E) my biggest loss of money - Cost to mod it! It gets addictive...
F) space - back seats are cramped, and the rear storage area just really isnt that big

Good luck with it.. my recommendation, is buy an earlier LR, maybe a 94 or 95 for 2-3k, use the rest of the money to lift it up, put accessories on it, and have $ for repairs and service.. if you get a nice example, you can do a lot to make it last for a long time.. then when you're out making your own money, you can buy a nice bmw for bling, and have an awesome offroader/winter truck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
"insurance (cost me $5400 to first insure it when i was 23 & in NJ!)"
WoW :eek: !!!

and yeah, get an older one. You get attached to em becuase of all the sweat and blood you're puttin into it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I know someone selling a 2002 Discovery for 14k
It is forrest green with tan interior. New tires and in great condition.
email me if you want his email.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies. My dad has been saying these things all along, but I thought it was just him just tryign to crush my spirits. His alternitive is a Volkswagon Golf. Would this be a good alternitive, or if you have any other suggestions, keep on posting. This info is helping me out a lot, and thanks for the info.

·
2,986 Posts
Honestly though, depending on where you live and cost of insurance, think about getting an older disco and then another speedy car.. you'll love the disco, it's just not a good move while you're this young to get a newer one.

Three of my friends have the Mazda 6's and absolutely love them though. I've driven one of them and it's a nice car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MAzda 6

Ya, It's a cobalt Mazda 6, but there is also an orange/metalic Land Rover (1999) with 62,000 miles on it. I ABSOLUTLY love it, but it seems like getting a Land Rover is either hit or miss. You either get a "good" one, or a "bad" one. My dad's main concern is repairing the Land Rover, and maintnance costs. But then again, seeign as how I am not payign for the majority of the car, I don't think I have the right to be very picky.

·
Registered
674 Posts
INVESTMENT!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry buddy - no car/truck these days could seriously be considered an investment...or should I say Discovery or Range Rover....of course I know there are exceptions. BUT...you will pay $14K if you can get your parents to do it, then you will use it, and upgrade it, and repair it, and put gas in it, and, and....and.....$$$$$$$$ spell KERRRRCHIIIIING

You get the idea mate!

Wait, buy a cheap shaggin mobile you can fit a mattress in, enjoy HS, and College with it....then get rid of it and THEN make the jump....enjoy your life and then spend it repairing and paying for something neat like a LR when you graduate college..........

Just a few of my thoughts..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HEHE, love your outlook on life. The one thing that caught my eye was just how well Land Rovers perform in snow. Because winters here are very harsh. I am always open to other car suggestions.

On a side note. My friends invested in a shaggin wagon, but its mainly wagon that smells like pee. Maybe if I ever got one I would be a little luckier than he was. ;)

·
Banned
527 Posts
Your at a Land Rover site. You dont need to waste your time asking about VW Golfs and Mazda 6's.

Sorry.

I thought you needed something for the snow? :dunno:

·
2,986 Posts
I have a great idea...

Buy Serg's 97 XD! It's pimped out already, its in great condition, no known mechanical failures (we would have heard him bitching), and it still leaves you a few K to throw towards it if needed!

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Jonesy said:
INVESTMENT!! :lol: :lol:
An "investment" is something that makes you money, builds capital over time.

A "Land Rover" is something that costs you money, diminishing your capital over time.

A "built-up Land Rover" is somewhat akin to taking a burlap sack, stuffing it full of your money, and lighting it on fire.

:lol: :drink1: :bawling:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Not at all, my friend.
I bleed GREEN

That was a joke, for us that build up our Rovers, wheel 'em, and frequently break 'em. But also an element of truth. The Rover is a notoriously moody and high-maintanence vehicle (like my ex-wife, only not quite as expensive).

But I wouldn't dissuade you from buying one, and would always welcome a new member to the Rover family.

(can I get a Kleenex? :bawling: )

:drink1: :drink1: :beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not sure how much upgrading I would do, but I would surtainly have to spend some cash trying to maintain the quality of the Land Rover throughout the years of its use. I am just looking for something that will last me well through college, and maybe even beyond.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.