Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time ever changing my own oil in my car. I am sick of overpaying at different places to get it done. My problem is I do not have ramps to get my 08 lr2 up off the ground and i have a pretty small garage. Has anyone ever used an oil extractor to remove the oil from the dipstick area? Any other tips and info would be greatly appreciated! I looked through many different posts and every one has info that is a little different than what I am looking for. Thanks again!!

·
MuddyRover
3 Posts
I never used one of those and Id pay for the land rover lr2 cause do you see where the oil filter is? Looks like a pain in the ass to get off!! I see this post is from early this month, was it easy to change your self?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked over just about everything in the car and decided that I didn't want to do it myself. After calling a few other dealers in my area, I decided to go to my local Toyota dealer (my family bought a few cars there). They told me that I could get a Toyota synthetic oil change for $75 for 10k miles or the full mobile 1 synthetic for $130 for 10k miles. I didn't know the difference so I just asked for the cheaper of the two. Typically an oil change there takes about an hour, but at least they have a nice waiting room and a Dunkin Donuts built into the place to make the time go by fast. About two hours goes by and someone finally comes out to see me. The service manager says "I hate to tell you this, but we marked you down as coming back later to pick up the car, and we also locked your keys in your car"...I was pissed! They wanted to send me in a shuttle bus back to my house a half hour away, but the keys to my house and the garage door opener were in my car! They came back a few minutes later saying they got the door open, but cannot put Toyota oil in the car because it has a different weight so I had to get the full synthetic. I told him I wasn't paying for it due to their mistakes. They then had to go out and find the correct filter. Now I am there for almost 3 and a half hours, but they didn't make me pay for this oil change and gave me a certificate for another free one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its an easy oil change :) here's all u need 1/2" socket or wrench for shield cover .....17mm for the drain plug ....36mm for the filter cover ...and just lift up the power steering fluid container and move it out of the way....
#57806 wix filter from auto parts store & 2, 5 quart 0w-30 oil mobile 1 synthetic ...
the best place to get it is at WAL-MART believe it or not ....
it takes 8 quarts ..or there about

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I created a how-to video a couple of years ago on this. 2008 Land Rover LR2 oil change. Also listed all the tools I used. I am your typical "basic knowledge" guy, definitely no expert. So if I could do it, anyone can do it!

youtube.com/watch?v=w2Y6tK7ofho

And yes, I do get a couple of pennies if you buy a tool from one of the links in my video description.

·
very disco
542 Posts
lol you're seven years late to this particular thread

·
Registered
1 Posts
lol, hope original poster found a way to diy the oil change, I did couple times for my bmw and dodge caravan, consider buying a LR2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts