Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have an overdrive unit which I have tried to fit previously. My big problem was trying to remove the 4th gear. There is a special nut which looks like the front hub nut in a way, which I need to get off.

Does anyone know what tool is needed to get this nut off, or what alternative tool or homemade tool that can be used.

I would really like to get this fitted. I have had to overdrive unit for about 5 months already.

Thanks

Jayce

· Registered
317 Posts
Jayce,
Yeah, there is a castle nut on the mainshaft which has to come off. I belive there is also a lock washer on there...

I know Rovers North here in the US sells a tool that will fit that nut exactly, last I checked it cost $38USD or so...but, I'd think that would beat the old trying to get the thing off with a chisel trick.

I'm sure this tool must be available in other places. You might want to drop by a rover shop and see if one of the guys there would lend you the thing for the weekend in exchange for some beer...

Bogatyr

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Bogatyr

Thanks for the advice, you may have unwittingly given me the idea of using a chisel!!!!!!

However I must admit that is makes my insides churn a bit. Well at least I have part of the equipment, a 2 pound sledge hammer called Fred and an equally well equippend rubber mallet called Lucy. I must just get a Chisel............ I think I will name it Spike.........however I might just look for the real deal.

cheers
Jayce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.