Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am at a loss here. I bought my dream truck an 89 RRC County last summer and knew it had quirks like constant battery light (I had the alternator rebuilt, and a new optima battery, cleaned off all grounds except possibly one I missed?), the washer fluid light (even though the res was full. Float switch probably corroded), The heater core diversion, some other odds and ends like leaks into the floor boards(probably sunroof drain) Oh yeah and rough idle (new idler thingy fixed that). But with all that, I drove it through a blisteringly hot summer, it still ran a little warm well it was id say 3/5 of a tank warm on the temp gauge, I'd kick on the a/c and let the aux fans kick on and we were fine.

Well, after all of that, I started noticing it would edge past the 3/5 line and work its way to the 4/5 line. The top line was tight so, I grabbed a new thermostat and installed it, thinking that would remedy the issue. It did... for a while.

Winter arrives and I start noticing it still ran 3/5 - 4/5 warm I checked all the fans, they all worked, the thermostat was trucking along. I thought maybe head gasket??? So I checked the oil. Clean as a whistle, did the exhaust gas test on the radiator, the color never changed. So I said, what the hell, I replaced the heater core, It still went to 4/5 hot, then installed a new water pump, and some new hoses. Still 4/5 hot. I made sure I topped off with rad fluid all over the place, still, 4/5 almost reaching into the red but never getting there. It's not leaking rad fluid, It's not blowing white smoke, the oil's not milky. The viscus fan feels viscus-y when I turn it when warm... When I take off the cap to the overflow tank and squeeze on the hoses there is movement. Is it the radiator? Is it the head gasket? Is it the temp sensor? The engine feels freaking hot (I don't have a thermometer) But is def baking.

My question to the great and wonderful forum... What the hell is going on with my truck?!?!? I yield the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
The viscus fan feels viscus-y when I turn it when warm
To rule it out try to stop the viscous fan with a rolled up newspaper when the radiator is hot... if you can stop it that's the problem

·
Registered
602 Posts
Are you sure it is actually running hot
I had changed my temp sensor with a new one
Nothing wrong with the old one
And the new
Showed I was running hot
Right below red line
Ok we this wasn’t right and reinstalled the old one
Been fine as before
I would check the coolant temperature
Just to rule it out

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I was able to slow the fan almost to a stop. Can this be repaired? Or do I need to get a new one?
A good one should be locked solid and rip the newspaper apart when the radiator is hot... IMO you need a new one

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed the clutch still running hot but not as hot. a little bit higher than 3/4 now but not 4/5. This is killing me. Should I check out temp sensors next?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I recently read that with the new radiators today a flush does not work. Says that the passages are too small and that they meander back and forth in the radiator instead of traveling in, around and straight out.

So does this radiator qualify for a flush?

Well, I just re-read that this is a 1989. So have no idea when the smaller passage radiators appeared.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flushed the radiator multiple day flush. The water came out clean. Still runs warm 3/4 4/5. Radiator change is next. I will also order temp sensor but I am sure that is not the issue. Any more ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Did you flush only the radiator or the whole cooling system? ..cos IMO just the radiator is not enough

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flush

I flushed the entire system. I then took temperatures at separate points on the engine while running at different time intervals for over an hour. The hottest point on the engine was 175 at a bolt on the head on the passenger side in between the two center spark plugs. The engine still read warm. See attached images.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,017 Posts
It’s good that you have a infrared gun.
Temps you show don’t indicate hot.
I would try upper hose surface temperature and rad surface or rad tank surface temperature.
If they are also su 190 then you can be very confident it is an inaccurate gauge.

·
Super Moderator
2,017 Posts
Yup
Pretty safe to say it’s not as hot as your gauge reads

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So those pics didnt work... I had some of each side of the radiator Drivers: 142 and Passenger 138. The outside temp was around 73f. I ordered temp sensor let's see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Operates at thermostat temp for the most part. The original rads though good are borderline at cooling, as in they have narrow cooling passages and really need end caps off and a recore. Boiling doesn’t work if cooling system hasn’t been maintained. I have an 89 rr in Fl since 92 . Been there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the new sensor, installed and let her rip. 10 minutes later, barely an 1/8 hot. Was reading 109 at the sensor, 75 outside. Taking it on an extended drive later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts