Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am usually asking how to fix my disco, but this time I wanted to contribute back to the community that has helped me many times in the past...

I've had my 1996 Discovery SE for over a year now, and although rusty, it has been a very good vehicle for me. I have done a few things to it. I replaced the radiator, water pump, and fan clutch to resolve an overheating problem. I have taken apart the starter switch because I had to jiggle the key forever to get the key to turn in the cylinder. I have resoldered the connections on the little window ECU board to get the rear windows to work. I replaced a U-joint which was so bad it was kicking the 4WD into neutral because of vibrations. But the engine has always started and run perfectly.

The other day after driving for about 15 minutes, it decided it did not want to start. It would try to start - engine would turn over and it would fire a little bit and then the RPMs would eventually dwindle down and the engine would die. I had tried taking the gas cap off and put it back on, tried locking the doors and unlocking them again. I let it sit for quite a while and after a couple more attempts it started up again. I drove it around and to a gas station - it was low on gas so I filled it up and it started up fine at the gas station. I drove it 5 more minutes and parked and came back out again 10 minutes later expecting it to start again and it did the same thing again where it would start, idle back down and die. Pretty soon it would not even attempt to start. It would just turn over.

I had to have it towed home and I began looking at forum threads of people with similar problems. I saw a lot of posts saying to check the fuel temp sensor, the crankshaft position sensor, the fuel pump, and the fuel filter.

I checked the voltage to the fuel pump with the key on and there was no voltage. So I did some more searching and found some posts that said they replaced the Multifunction Relay module and they were good to go. So I went out and found mine and noticed there was the same colored wire running from the MFR to the Fuel Pump (white with a purple stripe).

I checked connectivity and it was fine. I then read that you can pull the cover off the MFR and manually try the relays. I did that and still no starting. Then I took a closer look at my MFR and noticed that one of the connections had some corrosion on it.

I took some sandpaper and cleaned off the connections on the circuit board and made a jumper out of some magnet wire I had laying around, then I resoldedered a bunch of the connections especially ones that looked questionable.

I put the MFR back together and put it back in the disco and she started right up! I was super happy that I didn't immediately take it to a shop and pay them countless hours of investigation. I was also super happy I didn't have to buy a new MFR at $125. And I was even happier that I didn't have to wait several days for the part to be shipped to know if that was even going to fix my problem.

I put the cover back with some new screws as the old ones were so rusty I had to take them out with a vise grip after chipping all of the rust away from around them...

I hope this helps someone in the future!

Thanks - Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm afraid I spoke too soon... I figured that since the car started right up immediately after my work on the MultiFunction Relay, I was good to go. It actually started a couple of times since I did the work on the MFR. But now, I just went out to go for a spin and it started up, revved nicely and then proceeded to die out when the RPMs came back down. Makes no difference if I push on the gas pedal. So NOT FIXED! Dang it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys - just getting back in - forgot my password and had to have it reset. I ended up replacing the fuel pump and that fixed the problem. That was about 9 months ago - been good since then. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.