Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas regarding my 1995 4.6 Range Rover would be much appreciated.

Living in Hong Kong my mileage is very low. Every 6 weeks or so the battery goes flat. The RR dealer suggests that I leave the door open, lights on etc but none of these things happen. I use this car in the same way as I have used others. I have had 4 new batteries in 12 months. The dealer says that nothing is wrong. Any thoughts?

Also, the air suspension was completely overhauled a year ago when it failed. Recently I have the occasional time when the car is on high and will not come down. After a mile or 2 it sorts itself out. The first time that this happened was immediately following a battery change.

Any contributions towards how to fix this otherwise marvellous car would be gratefully received. Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
How Often and How far

Hi
how often and how far are you traveling in the vehicle.
Killing a battery ievery 3 months is possible but it's a huge drain to be that fast. Something like a door light might drain the battery but to kill it is something different. An example is a 3 to 5 watt light cyceling on for 60 seconds and then off for 60 seconds is often used to store a battery for a period of time say 6 months before a recharge(new battery) 3 months for an older batter.
Adam

·
Registered
125 Posts
Coincidences are common, but I believe in conspiracies! It is possible that suspension electrical system fault could be using battery power to run the compressor when the vehicle is not in use, depleting the batt and explaining why you find the vehicle standing tall. Try removing the compressor's fuse when not in use to see if the batt holds its charge longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snagger said:
Coincidences are common, but I believe in conspiracies! It is possible that suspension electrical system fault could be using battery power to run the compressor when the vehicle is not in use, depleting the batt and explaining why you find the vehicle standing tall. Try removing the compressor's fuse when not in use to see if the batt holds its charge longer.
That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I too believe in the conspiracy theory.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Richard,
Suspension, all the other responces look valid, but looking at Range Rover Register (club) handout for the anniversary for the P38 RR under diagnostics for Air Suspension quote:
Automatic Height Changes
The system will default to exted height if the system is unable to lower a height sensor reading for 10 second period. This indicates the vehicle is grounded. This is indicated by the "high" position lamp flashing. This mode will remain active for 10 minutes,the driver selects another ride height, or the vehicle speed exceeds 35Mph.
basically this is an intermittant sensor failure.
Having lived out in Hong Kong in the late seventies I can understand the environment. If the symptoms ring true then most likely a sensor connector pin/socket is corroded (high humidity near the sea). a sqidge of WD 40 should sort it out.
I do not know what your electrical bias is but first of all you need to know if your battery is being charged, stick a multimeter across the battery when the vehicle is idling ( in hong kong it will spend a lot of time doing just that).
It should be reading = > 13.5 Volts. If can't do this check that with the lights on full beam they are brighter when the engine is ticking over then when you have them on with the engine off and the ignition is in run (2nd position). The red battery light in your cluster is another indication, if it is there when the engine is running (alternator fault). Check it is there when you put the key switch to the first position assessory(if missing light bulb fault).
It does seem to be a slow drain on the battery and because the car has certain power modes and sleep modes, We need to find out what is an acceptable power off current (after a specified time) usually measured in milliAmps. If anyone out there knows what this is (and if richard can do it) he can put his meter(I) in series to check if this correct.
The dealer coud be right in that the engine bay light stays on when the bonnet is closed or the courtesy lights staying on.

I do apologise if this too much information, but if not then I am pleased to help
regards
Colin :wave:

Richard Tanner said:
Any ideas regarding my 1995 4.6 Range Rover would be much appreciated.

Living in Hong Kong my mileage is very low. Every 6 weeks or so the battery goes flat. The RR dealer suggests that I leave the door open, lights on etc but none of these things happen. I use this car in the same way as I have used others. I have had 4 new batteries in 12 months. The dealer says that nothing is wrong. Any thoughts?

Also, the air suspension was completely overhauled a year ago when it failed. Recently I have the occasional time when the car is on high and will not come down. After a mile or 2 it sorts itself out. The first time that this happened was immediately following a battery change.

Any contributions towards how to fix this otherwise marvellous car would be gratefully received. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Richard,
it should be no more than a quarter amp quiescent draw.You can connect a multi-meter in series at the battery. There is always the possibility that the alternator is over charging and cooking the battery,from memory it will probably be a 100 or 120 amp.Might be an idea to get your dealer to check output if you find no significant draw.
Mick

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
one more thing..

I would suggest that if you do not track down the problem in the near future, and you kill another battery, that you buy an optima battery as a replacement. The Optima battery is designed to be de charged and re charged over and over again.

my 2 pence

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.