Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we purchased a 2005 Range Rover HSE to tow behind our motorhome - we confirmed it can be flat towed behind a motorhome through Land Rover and it's also listed in the Motorhome dinghy towing guide (years 2003 through 2005) - provided you follow the instructions in the owners manual. I've read a posting where someone had the battery discharge on them and had issues towing a 2004 even though it was listed as towable as well. The owners manual instructions say you have to leave the key in iginition position I while towing and that it can run the battery down - not sure how to get around this when towing. Is anyone towing their model year 2003 - 2005 behind a motorhome? We'are about to get ours ready for a trip and any information would be appreciated. Has anyone researched any of the tow braking systems for towed vehicles. There are a number of products out there - US Gear has a unified tow brake that supposed to be great. There are also portables that just sit in on the floor board. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Do you tow yours? Any issues with battery running down with key in Position I? Manual says "extended periods" may drain battery but doesnt specify what that is. I would think towing a car for a days worth of driving shouldn't drain the battery, but who knows. Can't find out much info at all. We used to tow a Jeep with no problems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you use the fuse and put in neutral, you still have to leave key in Pos. 1 to let it turn. Battery should be good for the day if all electrics are off, A/C radio etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me if you can flat tow a Range Rover Sport (or Sport Supercharged) ? It's not listed in the dinghy tow guide, but AIUI that's not an exhaustive list.

Thanks in advance!
Ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any luck

Rick, Ive got an 05 and am about to start flat towing it behind my motorhome. do you have any tips for towing? did the battery drain problem ever materialize?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Flaw towing a 2005 HSE behind RV

Rick, Ive got an 05 and am about to start flat towing it behind my motorhome. do you have any tips for towing? did the battery drain problem ever materialize?
Hello,
I am planig on doing the same as you are. I purchasded a Range but I haven't yet put a tow bar on it . What kind do you suggest and where can I have it done. I live in the Palm Springs area of Ca.
I'm trying to get it done in the next week or two so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
deleted the asshat and took his link out of the quote.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - Did you receive any info re Towbars for your 2005 RR? I'm looking to fit a front bar to my RR for Flat Towing behind my Dutch Star but no-one in the UK can supply one. Could you recommend a contact stateside who might be able to help. Many thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tow Hitch for 05 Range Rover

Hi cj,

I tow an 05 RR HSE behind my 08 Newmar Ventana. I use a Blue Ox Tow Bar Base Plate, part #BX2905. The tow bar is a Blue Ox Aventa LX with a 10,000 pound rating. Been to Edmonton, Alberta and back several times, Sedona, Northern/Southern Cali with no issues. I would suggest that you have a trickle line run from your house batterys to the RR to aviod drainig the battery while it's being towed. I had mine installed at Giant RV in Colton Calif. They also ran lines directly into the rear brakelights to to aviod messing with the existing wiring( No Faults). Any ? feel free to email me....

·
Bleeds Green
83 Posts
A lot of folks on RV forums talk about flat towing their vehicles and I've heard some real horror stories. One negative impact of flat towing is a buildup of heat in the transmission because the fluid isn't getting circulated through the transmission cooler. Some guys that flat tow will idle their towed vehicle for the duration of towing in order to keep the fluid circulating through the cooler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts