Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all-

i'm planning on installing a flowmaster exhaust and do some minor rerouting to get some more ground clearance. i'm wondering what you removed to make it work. just the rear muffler, both the center muffler (resonator) and rear, center only, etc. i'm planning on doing straight pipe from the cat back to the flowmaster muffler but not if it gets too loud. i'm not holding my breath for performance, either. just better sound and better departure angle. any input?

andy

·
Registered
854 Posts
I bought mine with a Flowmaster on it. Not a big fan of it. Sounds good outside but really drones the inside of the cabin. I think I am going to swap it for a Magnaflow. I have had a bunch of them in the past. They flow better and don't drone so bad. Mine is directly forward of the axle and dumps just behind it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
removing the rear resonator and replacing it with pipe will make for a slightly throatier sound and allow you to modify the outlet for better departure angle. The centre muffler is the one that quiets the truck down the most. Doing a single Flowmaster alone on that truck might make it too loud- it'll drone on the highway and get old fast. I have a Flowmaster on my 72 Range Rover with the 3.5 V8 and it's LOUD. It sounds great- like a hotrod- but it gets old fast on a long drive.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Well....running MT's and then putting in a glass pack in the place of the middle muffler and having no rear resonator seems to work fine for me. I think if you don't have MT's, the noise might be a but much. But with MT's that really aren't that loud, I can't hear the differnce too much. I guess what I'm trying to say in my drunken stupor is that if my glass pack ain't too loud, why would a Flowmaster be any louder? Do they have a certain distinct sound? Wow, no typos with so much beereee.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input. i have dunlop mt's so i'm used to the drone but i'm not really looking for a whole lot more. i think i'll remove the rear resonator and put in some straight pipe to solve my clearance issues. thanks!

andy

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I took out my resinator a long time ago...don't miss it at all.. a glass pack will also increase ground clearence a little!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
With the Flowmasters, a whole lot depends on the model (which reflects the sound output). Go to Flowmasters Website they have a BUNCH of different models from single to triple baffled for 1200 HP drag cars to Class A motor homes. They also have quite a lot of sound files of different models on different vehicles. Might be worth looking at. Hope it helps

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have an NRP cat back syatem on my RRC, as does dad on his 110. Both trucks have 4.2's and I noticed a huge difference from the stock system. I believe the claimed performance boost is something like 10bhp. The NRP is an impressive exhaust. The pipe is heavy gauge stainless and the muffler is highly polished with the NRP logo engraved, not really necessary for an off road system but it sure is nice to look at while working under the truck. The tip on the rrc/disco 1 system is slightly tapered down and I believe it's a 3 inch with a highly polished tip that looks sharp. On the 110 it is just a straight exit with a 45 degree taper. The sound is really agreeable and is plenty aggressive if thats what you are after. I can hear dad coming down the road from 100 yards away from inside the house. On the highway it's not much louder than a stock system and if you are running a roof rack or aggressive tires its hardly noticeable. I parked my rrc next to a D1 with a borla exhaust and the borla is much louder but the NRP is a lot throatier. I thought I heard a rumor that they went out of business but I'm not sure. I'd give rovers north a call. They should have them in full systems and cat-back pipes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.