Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the New F'ing Guy...

I have a 2002 Freelander HSE.

Does anyone else here have issues with their Freelander taking a while to "warm-up"? mine is sluggish for a few minutes and the temp gauge rates dead cold for a few minutes after I start her up... I usually let her sit and warm-up for a few...

Other than that, I have zero complaints. :buttrock:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Ours might be under cover in the carriage shed but that's not heated and it always runs (now, watch it throw a rod) great. But, like anything mechanical, don't stress it till you know the oil has gotten to everything. I almost always give it a minutes or two. My 110 needs 2-3 minutes to just decide if it wants to settle in, but then she's fine.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
you might have a problem with the thermostat. most vehicles whatever they are that are slow to heat up have a problem with a sticking thermostat.

I have seen it more on older RR though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
beezel said:
you might have a problem with the thermostat. most vehicles whatever they are that are slow to heat up have a problem with a sticking thermostat.

I have seen it more on older RR though.

From experience with other makes and models, Beezel may have a very good point.
The thermostat should activate at a designated temperature to divert the flow of coolant, but if it is sticking, the engine will run cooler.

A way of checking is to run the cabin heater and check the flow of air. I think that a good indication is that you will not get warm air from the centre vents, but will get some through the side vents.
If you fail to get warm air into the cabin through these centre vents then the coolant is not passing through the heater properly and could be that the thermostat is stuck diverting water straight to the radiator.

I am sure that you can test the 'stat by removing it and dipping it into a cup of boiling water - this should cause it to lift, indicating that it works OK.

Often you will find that it is all corroded and obviously in need of replacement.

Be sure to top up and vent the coolant when a new thermostat is fitted.

As I said, I don't have any experience with Land Rovers, but seen it on Vauxhalls where it is a very common fault.

Hopefully a little help ??

Regards,
Russ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.