Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front sunroof on my 2001 Disco is stuck in the open position. I left both open to keep the inside cool (Florida). When I attempted to close them, the back closed with no problem but the front just moved about an inch. If I attempt to open or close it, the window jerks a little and I hear the motor attempt to move.
I don't know if there is something I can do to the motor or does it need to be replaced.
The problem is that the RAVE manual says not to attempt to remove the motor with the window open.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Coop

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
There's a manual crank that's hidden underneath a plastic cover just behind the sunroof control switches:

Use a hex key to turn it. If you can get the sunroof to move via the manual override it's probably a bad motor. If it's still stuck then the sunroof either jumped the tracks or is binding on some foreign material. Poke your head around up there and check - the tracks are pretty clearly visible and you'll be able to get a good idea of what's going on.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. We were expecting rain here in Fort Lauderdale.
I was able to close it with a hex key.
One more question, if the motor is bad, will it still work in one direction. ie: the window will open using the switch but won't close.

Thanks again

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Glad to help - I'm up in Clearwater so I know what you mean about the rain.

As for the motor, usually when they fail they won't go either way so I wouldn't count on it being able to open, but stranger things have happened.

The good news is that you can replace the motor itself without pulling the whole assembly. Unfortunately your whole headliner has to come down which is a bit of a pain. I've thankfully never had to do it so I can't lend any insight.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been pouring for 2 hours. Man did you save me. Thanks again.

Funny thing is that it WILL open using the switch but won't close. Not looking forward to changing the motor so I can wait, Too many other things need attention first like brakes, three amigos and complete service.

Thanks again for the help.

·
HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
I can help your resolve your sunroof issues, your welcome to call , email or text me with any questions my advice is free and comes from years of sunroof knowledge on the land rover discovery's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.