Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite watching my son and I seemingly forever beneath our 4 various LRs, My wife opted for a Freelander. ('03 HSE V6) She has repeatedly complained about the windshield wipers not performing. The dealer finally, just last week, and after 4 visits, changed out the glass for a new one.
Here was the problem. The RH wiper, on the upswing, brought up rain or mist to it's apex, and the LH wiper, on the down swing would just smear it instead of wiping it away. This resulted in an almost complete blurred area and was quite annoying, apart from the safety aspect. The dealer changed blades and arms, cleaned the glass with solvent to no avail, hence the glass change. We haven't has any rain since then, so I can't confirm the problem being fixed. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Also, anyone had a confirmed date for the A pilar recall getting underway?
On another note, We regularly rent a 1.8 5 speed when visiting Tortola. I love that box. Why can't we get a manual in the states?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem Cured

We finally had rain, and, Low and Behold, the wipers cleared on every swipe.
While the dealer had said he had never seen the problem prior to ours, He also agreed that the problem was painfully evident, and that it had to be the glass. After the y removed it, the glass guy said it appeared there was a low spot, on the glass, as though it hadn't cooled before being taken off the mold.

The A Pillar problem has been publicised, and is on the NHTSA Website. LRNA has acknowledged it and is preparing new interior pieces, and the recall, Mandatory by NHTSA, affects 38,000 Freelanders, 2001 to present.

·
Registered
9 Posts
TerryS said:
The A Pillar problem has been publicised, and is on the NHTSA Website. LRNA has acknowledged it and is preparing new interior pieces, and the recall, Mandatory by NHTSA, affects 38,000 Freelanders, 2001 to present.

have you got the website details - heard nothing here in Oztralia

cheers :shifty:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Freelander Recall

Hey Syd,
Try this:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

That should take you directly to the page about Freelander A Pillar recall.

I was told it involved "All 38,000...." but I don't know if that's US or total built, but it does involve all years that they have come into the US.
Also, Since it's a NHTSA recall, it may just mean that it doesn't meet US standards.
Initially I thought they were saying they had to replace the A pillar, and was thinking, gee, we get a Disco loaner, we ought to be driving that for a month or so. But the dealer said it only invloves changing out the interior trim pieces, not the whole damn post. Seems somebody put their's on it's roof and the trim piece popped off and through their eye.
I was kinda hoping they would do it when they had the car to change the windscreen, but was told that LR was still trying to design a new piece and it won't be available till late fall (spring for you, eh?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dodgy windscreens

:wave: Hi all. I've only had my baby rover since Nov 04, mind you I've done 25000 klms in it. Anyway, I found the same problem you did with the wipers, but two weeks ago I got a lovely stone chip which laddered badly and I had to have the windscreen replaced. I picked it up on a Friday just on dark from the glazier and so didn't get a good look at it. By the Monday I wasn't driving it again untill they had replaced it. It had waves in it you could nearly surf on. While there the non-boss was telling me that they have had to replace or send back a huge number of Freelander windscreens. And the next day when it rained, I had no problem with the wipers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts