Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Freelander Brakes so soon?

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  garrycol 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Freelander and just had the 24K mile service done. I was told that I already need new brakes at a cost of about $350!! Is this normal?
I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima and 1995 Corvette that both have around 60k miles and have never needed brakes.
Also, the costs at the dealer seems outrageous!
JetJazz

#3 ·
Well i just got off the phone with my dealership...just had the 24k (that is 24 kilometers not miles) service done and they are telling me that my brakes are done as well. What is going on here. Is this not really too fast or is it about right?

And I am sort of new here...How would that be covered under warrenty? Can anyone explain that. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Rob

#4 ·
Rob,
I'm trying to get my local dealership to replace the brakes under warranty but the only way they'll do it is if I have a complaint about the brakes, i.e shuttering or pulling etc. Otherwise they won't do it. At my 24K (miles) check the pads were almost gone and the rotors needed replace....about $500.00.
It is not normal for a vehicle to need brakes that soon but from what I hear it is the norm for Freelanders.
I may try different brake pads.

Jerry

#5 ·
24K miles is good. Some only get 12K! It all depends on what kind of driving you do - city vs long haul and how agressively you use the brakes. The freelander is a heavy vehicle. The rotors are designed to provide excellent braking - soft rotors and pads that wear quickly too. I replaced my pads at 28K and kept the rotors since they were well above the wear limit. I'll change everything next time.

You can put in EBC pads and rotors. Don't upgrade the pads without changing the rotors to match. The EBC sets have been hard to find so make sure they are in stock and will ship right away before you order them. Atlantic British has an EBC pad and rotor kit in their Spring 2005 Catalog for $349.95 but I don't know if they actually have them in stock. They aren't too hard to install yourself if you are inclined to do that sort of thing.

Brian

#6 ·
Well I just got back from the dealership and they said 540 bucks to get my brakes done (Canadian). I am not sure I am willing to pay that much money seeing that I could just do it myself. However, I do have a couple questions. So, has anyone used those EBC brakes? Are they worth the extra money? and Does anyone know how much longer they might last just with some regular city driving? Also has anyone gone with different brakes all together? if so what kind and how are they holding up?

Any thoughs or ideas would be great. Thanks for your help.

Rob

#7 ·
My 03 SE3 went thru the same thing at about 25K miles - but the dealer told my wife $890 for front pads & rotors!

But if you have any mechanical know how, I went to a different dealership (can't find parts anywhere else) bought new pads ($70) - the rotors would have been $180 for the pair, but since she didn't grind them and they aren't warped, I ended up not even having them turned, and did hands down one of the easiest brake jobs ever - for $70!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.