Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy a new Freelander 2005 model. I would drive it off-road ocassionally, but not often. I have read a lot about mechanical and other problems with the 'old' Freelander models. What about the new model? As the 2005 model is about the same as the New Freelander 2004 model, I was wondering if it's going to be redesigned again in the near future (I heard some rumors about that)? Comparing 3-door model with removable roof and a 5-door model, which one you think is better (3-door model lacks some comfort, but it offers a roof window instead...)? What about the service and spare parts prices?
I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Stef:
Land rovers are like good wine,they get better as time goes by,the later years are better built than the the earlier models.Another local member from your area could answer the question regarding parts and service better than me,as I could only tell you that being here in the United States and the Land rover being an european car,expect then to pay a considerable amount of money when it comes to parts and service.
I would go for the three door model with removable roof.It must be a blast to drive without the top! :drive:
Carlos

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carlos,
Thanks for your reply.
Three-door with removable top would be my choice, too. I have read a lot about the problems with the earlier version of Freelander, but hopefully they fixed it in the new one.
How popular is the Freelander in the US? Who drives it? For instance, Toyota's RAV is here in Croatia driven almost exclusively by women, as a second car in the family, and Freelander is mostly driven by some elderly gentlemen who can afford it. Unfortunately, we're not rich enough to drive two cars, so Freelander would be our family choice. Do you think the 3-door is comfortable enough for the whole family (two kids)?
Thanks,
Stef

·
Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other spor
259 Posts
I have the '03 SE3 and highly recommend it. Performance wise, there's little to no difference between the 3 and 5 doors. I prefer the looks of the 3 door, and love taking the top off. Such a fun car. Stock stereo rocks and I really like the technical fabric seats. I would have liked leather and heated seats too, but I use waterproof seat covers all year round so it's no biggy. Comfort wise, the two vehicles are very similar. Rear seat space is identical, only downside of the 3 door is that your rear seat passengers don't have a door or window of their own. Each will have a 1/4 window that can crack open, and access isn't too difficult, but the 5 door is a little easier for passenger. I did a little trip last weekend w/ two full size adults in the back of mine and heard no complaints the whole time.

Realibility for mine has been good (knock on wood). Only problems is two tiny trim screws have popped off, and intermittan HDC/TC light (common, easy warranty fix), and my windshield washer jet hose sometimes gets kinked under the hood (just reopen and adjust) so I really have no complaints.

I say go for it and enjoy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why not buy a real landrover like a defender or series vehicle, which have nothing in common with a car whereas a freelander is more car like and not as much fun as a real landy.

Roy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies. If anybody has any new information, please write. :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I beg to differ

spectric said:
Why not buy a real landrover like a defender or series vehicle, which have nothing in common with a car whereas a freelander is more car like and not as much fun as a real landy.

Roy
We have been using 3 door softback Freelanders on Tortola.. for a couple years. They have far greater wheel travel, and offroading (most of the island bywyas are offroad) capability than any of the japcrap. Most roads have grade in excess of 30% and the little freelander eats the hills and switchback for breakfast. The seven mile road into smugglers can't be done in the fancy asian dodahs, especially after a night of washouts.
Yes, it isn't a Defender, or ancient series truck, but it's the most capable of the little ones out there, and maybe some bloke with a family wants a New capable landy, not a 25 year old nostalgic money pit. Trust me from where I come, I have at least one of everything they make. My wife happens to love hers, and having spent years in the UK, I never saw a driveway like mine in winter, .75 miles and up to 10" of snow before I break out old relieable ( Ford F250 pickup with 8' plow)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Stef:
The freelander is very popular here in the U.S. at least in the east coast where I live.In my state you could see three to four different ones per day running along you on the highway.The 5 door model looks to be more popular around here though,as I have only seen a couple 3 door convertibles in a two-three month timespan,but still I really like the 3 door more than the 5 door model.Besides you could take the rear top down for a little bit of extra space :D .
Thanks,
Carlos

·
Registered
1 Posts
Freelander 1999

I bought a Freelander 1999 model done 71600km with very good condition three days back for 24000US$ here in Sri Lanka !! Now i am reading the reviews and alarmed to see all the bad comments of this vehicle. What will happen to me !! I do about 100km per day and Sri Lanka being a hot country will I have a lot of problems ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts