Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Freelander SE with barely 30,000k on the clock and next to no off road experience. Typical suburban usage. Now the automatic transmission won't change out of 1st gear and when it's pushed the cars shudders violently and seems to seize up. Does anybody know what's wrong? (The car's not being driven; it's up on blocks at the car yard waiting for repair.)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I assume you have the Sportronic (Manual Mode) option. So what I would have suggested would be to put it in manual mode and shift it up yourslef. That way you could determine if it was a gearbox fault, or a computer fault.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TerryS said:
I assume you have the Sportronic (Manual Mode) option. So what I would have suggested would be to put it in manual mode and shift it up yourslef. That way you could determine if it was a gearbox fault, or a computer fault.
Thanks for your input. It's an automatic transmission that worked wonderfully well driving back from the country, and then that night everything went wrong. It has had the equivalent of a CAT scan and there is nothing wrong with it electronically. I am waiting for the transmission guy to call me with what I expect will be bad news. The car is one month out of warranty and I am preparing to go to war with the importers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2002 and some 2003 Jatco transmissions that are in the gas V6 version of the Freelander are notorious for failing. I had mine replaced around 28,000 miles. Hopefully yours is still under factory warranty, because these babies cost a bundle to replace.

On a more posiitve note, with over 12,000 on the new tranny, the car never dtove better. Shifts as smooth as silk and I off-road it every chance I get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.