Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that we are a lot of Disco guys here, It seems that the Defender is lost there, and I never saw a Freelander on this site ever. Are they really that bad. I though of buying wife 1 for kids transport and fun 4 weekends.

· Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other spor
259 Posts
I have a 2003 FL SE3 and it's worked out brilliantly for me. We only get the V6 here in the states and it works OK, although like most rovers, could always use extra power. I got the Fl to replace a VW Jetta as my daily driver. I really like the Disco 2.5 (2003+) but am glad I passed on fuel bills alone. I don't do very many tough off-road trails, and when I do, I'll just take the RR. That's not to say the FL isn't competant off-road, the little guy has really surprised me.

In commuting duty, it is very comfortable, good sound system, carries everything I need. For road trips etc, it's pretty good as well, with the seats down, there's a decent amount of cargo space, although it's a little tight w/ the rear seats up. It is underpowered but once you get the hang of the "command shift" you can hussle it pretty well when needed. My mileage has been good too, average about 20-22 mpg driving reasonably. I've also gotten 20+ on the highway several times while I had all my windsurfing kit on the roof rack. Mine has also been very reliable, just one idiot light and a couple of minor trim issues, no biggy. From everything I've seen, like most land rovers, the later model years tend to be the most reliable.

There are a lot of people who call the Freelander the "freeloader" etc, and tout that it's not a "real" land rover. It's still debatable, but it really can do some amazing feats off-road and can take quite a beating. Regardless, IMHO it makes a lot of sense as a second LR vehicle for the less taxing duties which their "real land rovers" perform at least 90% of the time.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
My wife insists it was without any pressure from my son or I when she decided she wanted a Freelander. Colin and I are thouroughly in bed with the brand, he with his '97XD and '93 LWB, me with my NAS110 and recently completed restoration of a '71 2A. She genuinely likes her car alot, and I enjoy driving it when we go off to do something civilized. She regularly goes back and forth from Ct to her place in Greenville Maine, and gets well over 25 mpg on trips, generally around 27mpg in the summertime. Apart from a nagging windshield problem, which the dealer eventually resolved, after two replacement windshields, we have had nothing but good luck with it. My biggest gripe is it is one PITA to change the oil; having to dissassemble the skidplate to gain access to the filter. We tend to get heavy snow and lots of drifting and she has never once had difficulty handling the unplowed roads ( and occassionally an unplowed 1000 foot driveway when I don't get it done by the time she gets home.) I haven't found it lacking in power, nor has she ever said as much.
The only aftermarket items we have installed are the front mudshields, but side window deflectors are deffinately on the xmas list, as you can't even crack them if it's raining.

· Registered
60 Posts
My '02 Freelander has been a great vehicle. Stock it's great as a daily driver and for road trips. I've lifted mine with Ironman springs (Australia) and put on 225/75-16 Goodyear MTRs on 16 inch steel rims for a total of 2.25 inches lift. Also installed homebrew skid plate and sliders for a little trail protection. The only problem with the larger tires is that you lose about 8% torque to the ground which hurts fuel efficiency and performance on hills and on the highway. They affect braking as well but you get used to it.

If you buy a used one make sure you get all the service records. Lots of '02s have had very serious problems. Mine's been great with no drive train problems in almost 50K miles. If purchased new, the resale value drops like a rock so you might be able to get a pretty good price on a 2003 or 2004. There a are a few (cosmetic?) differences between the 2003 and 2004 so make sure you look at both. Most savvy owners buy the extended LR Assured warranty. (Note: This stuff is about the US market.)

Oh, and I just noticed you are in South Africa! Look at the TD4 diesel. It's a sweet little engine and makes the Freelander a whole different vehicle.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
yes the diesel is a bit better. I can tell you its cheaper to replace the timing belt then a V6,

Its twelve hours to replace the timing belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.