Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to change the diff. oil in the front and rear, and was wondering if anyone knows the correct size o-ring to use for the fill plug. I'd like to have it ready when the time comesbut I cant seem to find it anywhere. Alsothe work shop manual says to use 75/90w, but the sticky calls for 80/90w. Any recommendations? I did see gear oil made by Lucas and that was 75/90w. I'd like to know what most of you guys are using out there,that seems to be best for our trucks. Thanks in advance.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
as far as what fluid.....i can't really give you any educated input, but i'll tell you what I do, haha. i just buy the cheapy, store brand, non-synthetic gear oil, but change it frequently...like every 15-20k.
75w-90 seems hard to come by in dino version , so if it's not there i just buy 80w-90. guys who off-road a lot tend to buy heavy weights.

in my honda community, amsoil severe gear is the go to, but it's synthetic. i'm sure synthetic would be fine, but i've never bothered to check....see, uneducated.

as far as o-rings: you can reuse the o-rings no problem. as long as they're not torn, they should seal up just fine. but if you need a new one, this is where i got mine.

#212 7/8"ID x 1-1/8"OD 0.125" Cross Section Nitrile Standard O-Ring | Fastenal

Font T-shirt Sleeve

these work great. they are a little tight, and they don't fall directly into the slotted recess where the o-ring goes, but once you snug them down they pop right in. if you buy them on-line you can buy them individually. if you go to the store you'll have to buy the whole pack.

Automotive exterior Technology Radio Metal

i just bought the bp of utah's brass diff plugs. if you go off road at all i think these are a must. they even come with o-rings!

Brass Metal

Brass Finger Metal

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
I just use a standard plumbing NPT 1/2 inch brass plug - cost $4 at lowes hardware. been working perfectly for years, had one in my 76 series 11 axle for 20 years with no problems.

works just fine - never sticks and its really easy to remove:)

Attachments

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
Gurunutkins, I remember you saying something about using the 1/2" plug. I had a few 1/2" female adapters in the barn, so I went out with my brass diff plugs and tried to thread them into the female adapters and they wouldn't even come close to fitting. So I'm a bit confused.

I did not have any 1/2" male adapters on hand, so I couldn't try them in the diff. It seems to me that the thread patterns/slants are a bit different too.

Not doubting you. you're way more experienced than I am... Just curious as to how far you got the 1/2" plugs to thread in? was it easy going, or did they feel like they were cross-threading? Did you bother with Teflon tape? In my experience the factory diff plugs are a pain to get started too, brass or plastic.

I own a plumbing company, so I have 1/2" plugs galore. I'll take a few home this eve and give'em a shot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Mine just threaded straight in by hand - no problems until the taper on the plug started to lock up and I just give them a half a turn after that to lock them on the taper (being a plumber you know they have a small taper on NPT but others may not)

I used to use PTFE tape but they seal so tightly I have neve had a leak off them, certainly on the older series vehicles everyone i knew used to use NPT fittings so i didnt even think with my new disco and it seems to work just fine - threaded straight in.
I'll try to find a reference to the thread type.
cheers
Barri

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
I'm going to give it a shot. I'm in the middle of maintenance anyways. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!!! This is why I love this forum,so much knowledge out there. I was just curious about the o-ring and now I have some options with the plug as well. I rarely do any off roading(especially now that the new motor only has 400 miles on it)but I am working on bringing the drive train up to snuff.Next is the front drive shaft. As far as the gear oil goes,has anyone heard anything about the Lucas,or should i just go with the 80/90? Just want the best for the 00 D2.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The book calls for SYNTHETICS in the diffs and transfer case. Don't go cheap. It amazes me how many thousands of dollars people will spend to "upgrade" their LR's, then want to save a few dollars and not even get the basic required fluids.
I personally use Red Line Heavy Shockproof in the diffs/TC. Royal Purple in the trans. Valvoline Premium Blue Diesel Oil in the engine.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
The book calls for SYNTHETICS in the diffs and transfer case. Don't go cheap. It amazes me how many thousands of dollars people will spend to "upgrade" their LR's, then want to save a few dollars and not even get the basic required fluids.
I personally use Red Line Heavy Shockproof in the diffs/TC. Royal Purple in the trans. Valvoline Premium Blue Diesel Oil in the engine.
weird, i remember looking (long time ago) in my service manual and it was calling for regular 75w/90. maybe i didn't read it right back then since i was just getting into shade-tree.

by the way, i tried the 1/2" brass plug today and it worked like a freaking champ. it was so much easier to install than even the new brass fill plugs i got from bp of utah. op, don't waste your time with those o-rings.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
weird, i remember looking (long time ago) in my service manual and it was calling for regular 75w/90. maybe i didn't read it right back then since i was just getting into shade-tree.

Nope. Just checked the owners manual. Both TC & Diffs call for "Fully Synthetic".
haha, i've been putting the wrong fluid in my diffs for 230k miles. nice.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts

Nope. Just checked the owners manual. Both TC & Diffs call for "Fully Synthetic".
texaco multigear is a semi-synthetic....had to do the research since you were calling me out. but your rover may be newer than mine, so your manual may read differently.

the t-case and diffs are essentially the same as the DI's, which came with dino oil, so using dino oil can't "hurt" the diffs/t-case... your fluid intervals will just be shortened.

the main reason i buy the cheapy stuff is because i do a lot of heavy work (towing, off-roading and hunting) with my rover. that's pretty much all i do with it. it just gives me piece of mind to change it frequently.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
the main reason i buy the cheapy stuff is because i do a lot of heavy work (towing, off-roading and hunting) with my rover. that's pretty much all i do with it. it just gives me piece of mind to change it frequently.
More reason to go synthetic, even with frequent changes. Seriously man, look at the list of your up-grades, and your whining about a few dollars once a year? Your proving my point.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
More reason to go synthetic, even with frequent changes. Seriously man, look at the list of your up-grades, and your whining about a few dollars once a year? Your proving my point.
seriously man, your picking me apart for trying to help the op about some o-rings. i even told him that my advice concerning the diff fluid was uneducated, haha. i'm glad you straightened us out.

as far as changing my cheap oil frequently, i think you'll find a lot of old timers and guru's do exactly as i do and it's worked for thousands of miles.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
seriously man, your picking me apart for trying to help the op about some o-rings. i even told him that my advice concerning the diff fluid was uneducated, haha. i'm glad you straightened us out.

Maybe you should go back and read his post. AFTER the o-ring question, he specifically asked what kind of oil we're using. Your answer is self-admittedly "uneducated" and the LR owners manual says synthetic. I'm assuming the LR engineers are "somewhat" educated, hence my reluctance to advise someone else to skimp on maintenance.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
You are right, but I did add in a disclaimer in hopes that the OP would search further, or someone like you would chime in with the correct response. I guess that's where I should've just said nothing at all.

I really hate getting in forum fights. Actually never been in one if I remember correctly. Just not my style. So I'm going to go ahead and apologize to you if I pissed you off. I've had interactions with you in the past and you've always helped me out, so why ruin it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.