Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Front Drive shaft vibrating a little. So I grabbed it and discovered it is wiggling.

I can grab it and turn it with my hands. It had about 2 cm of wiggle room.

Is this normal? Just wondering.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My Front Drive shaft vibrating a little. So I grabbed it and discovered it is wiggling.

I can grab it and turn it with my hands. It had about 2 cm of wiggle room.

Is this normal? Just wondering.
Hmmm...based on what I've been reading on here that's not good and potentially fatal to the transmission.

I would stop driving the truck until the forum elders chime in.

·
1,783 Posts
Have it removed asap before it blows out ur tranny cover & lock up the transfer case to use the rear drive shaft. so u can still drive the Rover this might be the reason ur Rover drives like a VW bus. Have the drive shaft rebuilt. Check on Here for threads on rebuilding the drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
what do you mean by "turn" and "2cm"?

any movement is not normal. If all the wheels were on the ground, you shouldn't be able to move it at all. If one of the front wheels is off of the ground, the driveshaft should turn at the diff and transfer case a bit.

I would suggest taking it to a shop, not the sears that likes to screw you.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
you can turn it, as in make it rotate a few cm? seems normal to me.

either way, if it doesn't have greasable u-joints, get it rebuilt.
Any movement in the double carbon u-joints is not normal and should be rebuilt or replaced with greaseable u-joints and a new centering ball ASAP.

·
laments the death of industrial strength soup spor
1,382 Posts
vibration? loose? with all the information looming all over the net you actually have to ask a question reguarding this:eek: have fun replacing the transmission:wave:

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
It all varies according to where you are measuring the play, which direction the play is in (axial or radial) and what the transmission is doing at the time.

Any radial play is bad news and should be immediately sorted out.

Axial play ie: turning the propshaft in its normal sense will vary with the state of the diff and other connected parts.

To positively lock up the shaft from one extreme of rotation to the other will involve the differential gears, crown wheel and pinion and any slack between the drive shafts (half shafts) and differential spider gears.

2cm of rotation at the propshaft flange sounds excessive, I think ours has half that amount normally. It depends again on accuracy of measurement etc etc.

As has been mentioned here already, you need to get it checked, with some urgency if possible.

Peter

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I can't get it checked until next week. I just got back from Miami (oh gawd) and tommorrow I have to fly to Los Angeles. Airport is 50 miles away. I have to drive and I don't have time. So I'm just going to have to roll the dice. Pray it doesnt blow out. The Front drive shaft is still loose and it vibrates when I hit the gas. Can I get away with putting another 100 miles on it before I take it to the shop? What are the chances it will break?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Well I can't get it checked until next week. I just got back from Miami (oh gawd) and tommorrow I have to fly to Los Angeles. Airport is 50 miles away. I have to drive and I don't have time. So I'm just going to have to roll the dice. Pray it doesnt blow out. The Front drive shaft is still loose and it vibrates when I hit the gas. Can I get away with putting another 100 miles on it before I take it to the shop? What are the chances it will break?
Call for an airport shuttle and expense the cost...your tranny will cost more than the $60 for the big blue Super Shuttle.

·
WESTWOOD1938
17 Posts
Please take it from me, don't drive it! As we speak, I am replacing my tranny & have had my front drive shaft rebuilt because I had the same problem you're having right now!! Listen to what's being said here...you're walking in the valley of the experts.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Ever heard the old saying," Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later"?
If it blows a tranny is expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts