Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations on a front drive shaft for weekend wheelin' (I live in Phoenix so Rock Crawling will be common) that will do well with a 2-3" lift? I do not believe my driveshaft has been rebuilt and want to get it replaced before it brakes.

I was looking at British Parts of Utah and they have a "Heavy Duty" shaft for $350. Any other recommendations? Will rebuilding be a better option?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
x2 on Tom Woods

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Or go to Great Basins Rovers in Salt Lake City for one of the best drive shafts made.

·
..\;/...
1,192 Posts
Brett said sometime in may I'll talk to him later tonight about it more...I have to get the new rover built and the little jerk has some parts I want so I'll let ya know dates tonight or a better time frame

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Great Basins Rovers will supply you with a new, better designed shaft that is far better then most others.
It is new and not rebuilt.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is this drive shaft necessary for a 2 inch lift? I plan to just stay at 2 inches. Until I have boatloads of money for some 35's and the work that goes alon with them. But most likely staying at 2.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
As long as your current shaft has been rebuilt and has a new centering ball and u-joints, you will be fine with a stock shaft up to a 3" lift.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got my new TW drive shaft installed. I'm now getting a pretty bad vibration at 65mph... It's extremely bad at 70+. It "hums" and vibrates at those highway speeds.

My old driveshaft did not hum or vibrate at all. I emailed lucky8 about the issue and they said the shaft might need balanced or the tcase bearing is bad.

My questions are...

1). What should I do?
2). How do I check the bearing??
3). If it is bad, why didn't it vibrate before?

As always, thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's a larger shaft, bigger than stock, that being said, it's extra weight could have taken your output bearing if it was on its last limb. It also could need a balance, but you'd think paying 500$ for something it would come ready. I would toss the old one back on and test that, if it makes the hum, it's your tcase, if not, exchange for a new one, unless it's buyers responsibility to have it balanced, if so, balance it. I asked about TW's shafts on Discoweb and had multiple replies saying that he's using Chinese parts for an extra buck in profit, just from rumors, not for sure though.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
That is why I suggested a new shaft from Great Basin Rover, T.W. shafts are prone to not being balance correctly.
Send the T.W. shaft back and have them balance it properly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought the hd shaft as mike suggested. My ujoints on that I used to rebuild were failing, I could've exchanged them, but too much hassle, the GB Shaft I have no issues with, very quiet. I'd recommend it over TW after hearing that TW uses Chinese parts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I asked Justin for a full refund... I'll probably try and get my original driveshaft rebuilt in the meantime.

If anyone thinks that's not the best option, I'll go with the GB Shaft. Any opinions on rebuilt vs. GB?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.