Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all, I am new to the forum and a new '04 Discovery owner. I have read alot about issues with the disco and I have a friend who is an owner as well.
My question to all is, "what is it that goes out on the front drive shaft that makes it bad?" Can I just replace my U-joints with servicable ones and be good or is it the whole drive shaft?
From pictures i have seen it looks like the u-joints go out and those should just be replaced. But like I said I am new and don't know what I am looking for on this issue.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wouldn't it just make sense to replace the front drive shaft with a new factory unit? I have a serviceable drive shaft but wonder whether its worth the hassle of climbing under the truck every 3-5k miles to grease it. My point being is that if a factory unit lasts 70k miles then just replace it every 70k miles and forget about it. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wouldn't it just make sense to replace the front drive shaft with a new factory unit? I have a serviceable drive shaft but wonder whether its worth the hassle of climbing under the truck every 3-5k miles to grease it. My point being is that if a factory unit lasts 70k miles then just replace it every 70k miles and forget about it. Let me know what you guys think.
Only the double cardon u joints are sealed, you still have to get under there and grease the front u joint, slip shaft and all the components on the rear. Takes just a few mintues with a grease gun, just make sure grease splurges out of all four points of the joint

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Good day to all, I am new to the forum and a new '04 Discovery owner. I have read alot about issues with the disco and I have a friend who is an owner as well.
My question to all is, "what is it that goes out on the front drive shaft that makes it bad?" Can I just replace my U-joints with servicable ones and be good or is it the whole drive shaft?
From pictures i have seen it looks like the u-joints go out and those should just be replaced. But like I said I am new and don't know what I am looking for on this issue.
If you're going to rebuild the driveshaft, just doing the u-joints is not enough. There is a joint in the double cardan unit that needs to be replaced as well. Just doing the u-joints does not eliminate the possiblity of failure.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AWESOME!! thanks for the info and the looking out. I have read a lot on here and just keep getting more and more info from everyone. GREAT support from the followers here. I can't wait until I can give some feedback to other.

if you don't mind could you take a look at my other thread about P codes and misfire and give your 2 cents on that issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.