Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me trouble-shoot my electrical problem? I have a 1996 D1. Today I noticed my front left-hand parking light does not work. The turn signal works, and all the other lights/ electrical components work as well. I checked the fuse and pulled the lamp assembly. Everything is okay. Any suggestions?

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Ok.. I take it you already tried changing out the bulb.

Get yourself a volt meter or even a test light will do. Unhook the bulb and turn on the blinker, attach the metter/test light and see if it lights up... if not, you have a problem somewhere else. Then you need to trace that wire back and see if there is a break in the circuit somewhere.

Let us know how it goes.

Serg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. The bulb is good. The turn signal works just not the parking light. I do have a volt meter but do not know hw to use it. When you look at the connection to the bulb there are two set of wires that come together then plug into the bulb. One set comes from behind the head lamp and the other comes from along the LH quarter panel. Does any one know which one is for the parking lamp? I guess it would be the first one but the manual does not say.

·
Registered
523 Posts
doc1911:
Please be more specific about which parking light bulb is not working,as Discos have three separate bulbs for parking lights and turn signals,at least for the Disco ll.For example,my Disco ll has a tiny parking light bulb inside the headlamp assembly,which is the same one for the Disco l.Also,inside the amber turn signal corner lamp it has a single filament big bulb for turn signal,and a tiny one on the side for parking lamp.Please double check that and let me know.
Thanks,
Carlos

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The light that is out is the front driver's side turn signal/ parking light. On the D1 (at least my 1996) they are one in the same. It is the amber/ orange light on the very corner to the outside of the headlight. There is only one bulb in the assembly.
Like I mentioned above, the fuse it good, the bulb filiment is good and the turn signal portion works.
My real confusion is this; When you look at the wires going into the connection to the bulb, there are two sets. One set comes from along the front quarter panel (like it is coming from the back of the engine compartment by the clutch master cylinder) and the other wire group comes from the area of the radiator (like from the passenger's side).
I can only guess that the wires for the parking light are in the second group (passengers side) but I'm not sure. How do I tell? How do I find which wire goes to the parking light?
Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
doc1911:
Here is another possibility,and very cheap to fix.Since your disco has one bulb for both turn signal and parking light amber corner lamps,it is possible that one of the filaments inside the bulb,the one that runs the parking light is burned out,while the other is still working.I don't know if you have checked out that,but try checking again.When you remove the bulb please take a closer look to it.You will see that this is a dual filament bulb.One filament shorter than the other.the tallest one is for running the parking lamp,so it should be burned out or the transversal little wire not making contact between the two vertical filaments.The shorter one is the one that runs the turn signal.It is kind of wider,because it runs more wattage,since it has to illuminate more for you noticing that the turn signal is on even with the other filament on.Try switching bulbs.Remove the one from the other side amber corner light and put it in this side.See if it works.Post the findings. ;)
Carlos

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like Carlos mentioned check the bulb and make sure it has two filaments in it. I thought the corner light was only for the turn signal and the parking lights are the small retangular ones located in the corner of the bumper caps. Does the other side work ok?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I think I figured it out. The bulbs are good, I'm pretty sure it is the connector that holds the bulb. The piece that actually fits into the lamp assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dud Light

Using a voltmeter is really very simple, especially if it is the digital kind. Insert the one probes into each of the cables and see what teh meter says. If you get a minus figure, then you are reversed polarised. Swap the probes around. You should get a reading of at least 12 volts and hopefully a little more, maybe 12.4 - 12.6. Dop not let the probes touch or you will blow the fuse.

I would suggest that you check the inside of the bult holder with the meter to see if you have power to the bulb. If not, follow the cable back, paying attention to any joints, and sooner or later, you will get a reading. You will either have a cable break or a very dirty connection.

Do you take you vehicle wading at all? Verdigris, which is a green deposit found on copper which has been exposed to the damp, will act as an excellent power inhibitor. It is also quite possible that what looks like a sound connection is actually corroded to a point where the power cannot get through.

If your bulb holder is a bayonet fitting, check for rust around the inside rim. This will kill the earth side, although given that the turn signal works, it doesnto sound like an earthing fault. I would suspect a dirty, corroded or broken connector at the bulb holder end.

Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What??????

I know this is an old post, BUT! My 96 Disco has just one set of wires (Green and white on right and green and red on left side, both with Blak ground), front parking lights. They worked one day, next day they dont. Turn signals still operational, ANY IDEAS OUT THERE????????????????????????????????:confused

1 - 10 of 10 Posts