Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,

I have recieved the following,

2x front shocks
2x front springs
1x steering damper
4x tie rod ends (1x left hand thread)

1x rear flex joint.

I was wondering if anyone had any "prior to doing this type of job" information that is going to save me plenty of knuckle skin and swear words.

Its getting bloody cold in my driveway so I would prefer to do this right the first time around.

I am so excited at the thought of driving without wandering steering and without the flex joint giving lancaster bomber type vibrations !

I wonder what will go next...........

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
PB Blaster....This will help get the old stuff out!!!!!

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
acetalene torch. If you dont have one take off both track rods and let a shop take them off. While you install the shocks and springs. Have them disassemble them including the adjuster and then take a ton of antiseize on all the threads and then get it aligned.

· Registered
120 Posts
WOW, some people have all the toy's..... Been old school I still have a "V" splitter and a very large copper hammer :D

Put some weight on the top bar ie pry bar in there and lift, as if your trying to lift the top unit away/out and at the same time give the joint outer casting a swift crack with a soft face hammer (copper if poss) and it should split.

PS, Leave the nut on the thread incase you miss ;)

· Registered
707 Posts
Yeah PB blaster start soaking it all down now. You'll probably need a torch I did 2 weeks ago when i did mine. I have a shop and a lift so mine went ok but plan on giving yourself plenty of time if you run into trouble. I had to remove my track bar completely and bar some bar stock to the balljoint and but the track bar in a vise, heat the balljoint then finally came loose and unthreaded.... but then again I didn't start soaking it with PB a couple days in advance. and on reassembly 1 word ANITSEIZE. on the, studs contact surface and sides of the wheel lugs and back face of the wheel where it contacts, and any future wheel removal will go like butter.

Spring and shocks should be cake, PB blaster

· Registered
707 Posts
Craig said:
WOW, some people have all the toy's..... Been old school I still have a "V" splitter and a very large copper hammer :D

Put some weight on the top bar ie pry bar in there and lift, as if your trying to lift the top unit away/out and at the same time give the joint outer casting a swift crack with a soft face hammer (copper if poss) and it should split.

PS, Leave the nut on the thread incase you miss ;)
I have the toys's but they take to long, **** i just use a 8 pound short sledge.... if at first the don't come... Swing Harder ...gets um out every time... your right about leaving the nut on though. I had to save my friends ass with a cut off tool to remove the top 2 thread that swelled when he didn't leave the nut on

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Go to autozone!!!! rent all the tools you need...They take a payment and when you return them you get your money back!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.