Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My three amigos are on again and my front end shakes when I apply the brakes in a normal manner. Is it possible that the module is causing this shake? I have an amigo tester. basically it's the shuttle valve and an open circuit. I'm going to power bleed the system and see if that helps. I've checked everything mechanical and found nothing worn, damaged or misaligned in the front end. Did the drive shafts too (relax mike) and still the front end shakes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Yes.. and new module is in order but man.. the costs are adding up. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You have warped brake rotors or you are about to loose a hub. My money though is on the rotors which can not be resurfaced so it is time for new front pads and rotors.
Might consider the Akebono ceramic pads for better stopping power and don't forget to do a full 2 quart brake flush.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
SRS is the "supplemental restraint system" or, in other words, the airbags.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
It's definitely warped rotors - nothing to do with your ABS module. Do the "Option B" fix to clear the shuttle valve faults.

I had the same problem and went with the brake rebuilding kit from AB (on sale now for $309). Replace all 4 corners and do not reuse pads. The performance is excellent, the brake shudder is gone, only con is that they produce a LOT of dust. When reassembling make sure you lube the caliper pins to prevent the calipers from sticking. Also make sure you put some anti-squeal (I like Sil Glyde) on the back of the pads otherwise they WILL squeal. I forgot to do this and after a particularly loud stop I hard-set the 3 amigos+brake light. Now I have to pick up one of the new Autel 619 scanners just to get rid of my codes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put new rotors and pads on it not long ago and the problem just got progressively worse. my hubs seem fine. No play at all in them. I'll power flush the brake system tomorrow. I have a 3 amigos scanner so I'll go back through it too. Sorry about the srs. I should have written abs.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did you do new rotors & pads on just the front or all the way around?

Did you have the shaking problem beforehand, with the old pads & rotors?

Where did you get the pads & rotors? How many miles have you put on them?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let's see.. just the front pads and rotors. pads in the rear. I've put about 4k on them since they were installed. It always had a slight shake at 45mph when I bought it. Had the front end aligned before I did any of this work. Ordered the pads and rotors from Miami Rover on Ebay. 3 Amigos started coming on intermittingly and now constantly on. Even with the new pads and rotors the shake never went away. I did the drive shafts too. Keep getting codes for both front 02 sensors too. Seems like I change them every 2K. Probably not that often but it sure seems like a real drag. This is starting to be a real PITA. My Jags never give me this much trouble...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Give us the actual fault code numbers so we have something to work with. Also need the exact ABS codes.
As I mentioned earlier, Warped rotors, even when new is not unusual need to have them tested. Have you actually tested the rotor?
There can also be s light possibility of a bad bushing or tie rod end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike,
I'll get them done this afternoon. Work seems to always get in the way! Never tested the new rotors for balance. I'll check the rod ends and ball joints again too. Thanks, kev

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike,
here's what I have from the OBDII- P1590
P1300
P1319
P0135
P0155

The ABS Amigo shows the present and history of:--------------------------------------------------------------
1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
045:Rear Left sensor output low
Rear Left Sensor Bad Output
114:Shuttle Valve Electric Failure
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
Logged Faults:
020:No batt supply voltage
021:Engine PWM signal bad
040:pump relay open circuit
045:Rear Left sensor output low
Front Right Sensor Bad Output
Rear Left Sensor Bad Output
<-END Faults
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
022:ECU Gnd or Reference Gnd bad
Logged Faults:
None
<-END Faults
the battery issue was taken care of. Just bad grounds all over the place. Thanks, Kev

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did order a new ABS module. I think I'll hold off on the line flush until it gets here on Tuesday of next week. How about the other codes? A sick Rover is discouraging.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Why would you order a new module when you can fix it yourself??????????????????
Seriously, cancel the order and do the repairs yourself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found one rebuilt from a dealer in the region. He sold it very cheap with a warranty. I can rebuild my old one at my leisure. I like to keep a stock of parts for events such as this. How about the OBDII codes? Any insight there? Thanks, Kev

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I pulled my front tires and rotors today. Rotors looked fine. I broke two lug nuts off when I was installing putting the tires back on... hmm. Checked the setting and re-torqued. Broke another one. Took the lug to my local LR dealer. It's not stock. The rims are off of a 2003. The previous owner did that. Looks cool but not a perfect match. It seems that the lugs he used were a stock 14x1.5 Auto Zone lug, not LR. They bottomed out and were incapable of properly seating the rim to the rotor/hub. That's why they broke off when they reached the end of their travel. Therefore they never actually produced enough positive pressure on the stud. This was causing some of the vibration. I had my son (precision machinist) throw them on a lathe and shorten them up. MUCH better! Not completely gone but almost. I'm just going to order some quality 14x1.25 lugs for the LR when I change my ABS tomorrow. That should do it. Sure explains a lot about the sick Disco shaking to a stop all of the time. Just in time.. my fillings were starting to fall out!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I replaced my ABS unit last week and changed out my front two 02 sensors yesterday. Everything was going fine and the DII was running great. My CEL and three amigos came back on and it shows a misfire on cylinder #3 & #6. The 02 sensors had cleared them up temporarily. When my three amigos chimed in I got a reading for my left rear speed/ABS sensor not sending a signal. Can that speed sensor have any influence on the CEL in addition to the three amigos? I'm seriously considering the use of combustion accelerants or a thermonuclear treatment at this point. Can the sensor be cleaned and reinstalled?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Good place to start, replace it and clear the codes, see if the 1590 goes away.
Might want to replace your front 02 sensor so you can clear your other codes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both 02 sensors are brand new. less than 30 miles on them. They cleared fine with my OBD2 and then came back on a few minutes later. I changed the speed sensor on the LR tire and cleared my 3 assholes. (sorry, just super frustrated) I still get a misfire on my OBD2 for cyls 3&6. Coil packs and wires are new. Had the engine rebuilt last winter by a reputable shop. Sometimes it runs fine for a few minutes and then ZAP, I get that FN CEL on again. at the end of my rope with this thing. Oh.. changed the front rotors too. Still has that front end shake. I'm expecting an earth shattering kaboom soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts