Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at getting a skid plate. For obvious protection purposes and because it looks pretty cool. :cool:
I keep looking at there things in Magazines, and the best I can make out they look like a thick hefty sheet of Aluminum plate and a couple of strong brackets. This to me doesn’t look too hard to fabricate myself for a quarter of the cost. Between my neighbor and me I have al the equipment to do this. This could be a pain in the ass project but highly satisfying when finished.
Question
Has anyone don’t this?
Where and what do the brackets attack to on the frame? Do you just drill new holes and bolt them on.
Has anyone got the dimensions for this plate?
Are does anyone have the dimensions of one already on there truck, fixing points etc?

Any help would be would be great.
I just recently Made Leather Gaiters for the Gear shifts Diff lock shifter and Parking brake. And builts a bush guard for the front bumper.
I get great satisfaction from making custom parts for my Disco it makes it stand out.
:drink1:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Standing out is good, but why do you want this, it is always in the way, restricts cooling and makes oil changes a pain in the ass.
I do some of the hardest rock climbing of one one I know in a Disco and I don't run skid plates. To me it is just something that hangs even closer to the ground and stands the greatest chance of getting hit.
Just a thought, hers is mine.

Mike J.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Point taken Mike.
But if these things are nothing but a waste of time and cause problems and issues else where. Why are they made and sold by some many company's???? :confused

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes there are a number of companies out there making and selling them but if you look at a large gathering of Rovers at a club function or run, you will hardly see any of them using skid plates except for some fuel tank shields.
Some buy them cause they look need but they really aren't needed.
Put your money into some good diff covers if you're going off road alot, they will pay for themselves many times over.
Mike J.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i'm with mike, if you're worried about your steering rod and such, get some heavy duty steering rods and relocate your steering damper to move it up. not only will get better clearance than stock but with the beefy steering rod, it'll give you a peice of mind.
also if you're off roading, you generally have a spotter. he/she will tell you if you're going to clear it and your lowest point would be your diffs so get some good diff gaurds.
take care
sam

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sidawson, I like the look of the SouthDown front axle skidplate, and also their front skidplate, but they are just too expensive @ the current time. I drive in water w/huge rocks most of the time, so for me, skidplates are almost a must. Your conditions may vary. I know that the skidplates on some of my other 4x4's have paid for themselves over and over again, and they have also given me a certain "relaxation" when the going gets rough. I have also been high centered on my skidplates a couple times. You can build them yourself if you wish, there are plenty of mounting holes in place on the front frame already. Make sure you use amply strong material for both the plate & mountings as the Rover is a fairly heavy vehicle. I just finished a 3/16 aluminum front plate for a 2300 lb. vehicle in my stable. I gained a front lifting point in the process, so I killed two birds w/one stone! Thank You, LRW. :wave:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See Mike and dent
LRwheelman has a point.
Dent I agree when off roading over rock use a spotter. But as LRwheelmans pointed out doing water crossings where there are unknown rocks etc the extra protection of a skid is comforting. Or you could always kit someone out in Scuba gear to do the spotting. :lol:
Also the reinforced/stronger Drag link and tie rods I agree are great way to go and very strong. But the Tie rod ends are still the weak link. The bars don’t bend but the tie rod ends breaks. I’ve seen this happen. Now you’re in the middle of the river with nowhere to steer and no way to repair with that extra rod end you have in the trunk, and trying to winch it out could cause more damage. :eek:
Oh yes forgot there’s the scuba gear to do that repair :lol:
Dent what’s your take on that???? ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank You, I have the HD steering rods, and I think that the tie rod ends are stronger, bigger, and more substantial w/grease fittings and all, but I may be full of BS, too! I've wondered about the size of those tie rod ends ever since I bought those HD rods. Oh, well. Did I mention that I also LIKE the sound of rocks scraping along my skid plates, assuring me that all the work was worth it? I have a front cross member to straighten this week, non-Rover, of course, as one of my children hooked a "small rock" w/it, which upon the vehicle un-earthing it turned out to be a really large rock. A skid plate will be installed as soon as the cross member is straight enough to accept it. I could have avoided the frame repair had I made the skid plate first, but I learn as I go along...........Thank You, LRW. :wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.