Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I believe that they are the same assuming you are refering to this;

It protects your steering components from hits comming from the front; though many have also put on tie rod protectors which almost wrap around the tie rod and protect it, where as others have done more of what RTE does, which is replace all the weaker steering stuff with crazy stong stuff that can support the entire vehicle's weight; incluiding any hit you might have also;

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Well, Id say if you have to go aftermarket, then Id get Southdown plates from somewhere like roversnorth.com or atlanticbritish.com . They are expensive though. What I am doing is looking at the pictures and fabricating some with my friend; steering guard, diff. guards/skids, gas tank skid, undercarriage skid. The only thing I dont plan to self-fabricate are the rock sliders because I want those to be nice and pretty for the outside.

Instead of the steering guard costing me $300, it will cost me $50 since a good friend has extra 5/8th steel and will help me do the work for free. note: though hundreds of lbs of skids isnt fun, I want the front and diffs to be 5/8....I hope it isnt overkill :buttrock: :buttrock: .

What I recomend is bringing the picture to a metal shop and seeing how much they would make it for; I bet it would be much less.

·
2,986 Posts
That is the south-down steering guard..

here is their axle/diff guard:

Southdown is VERY strong stuff.. but also very expensive.. there are a few alternatives out there.. I believe atlantic british sells their own also, and also www.dap-inc.com has some of the more reasonably priced ones. You could also get a steering guard along with a bumper [Safari Gard / RoverTym], and then just put a regular diff guard on the axle.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
yep, but only safarigard has the optional steering plate, and they arnt called $G for nothing. W/ the plate your talking an easy $1500 minus tax, shipping, etc. I really love the SG bumper, but I think I will go RTE. Still though, I dont think they come with protection, so stuff is still vulnerable w/o a steering guard or crazy strong drag link and tie rods (ie. my first post above)

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
too bad on DII's you must relocate the washer fluid reservior for both of those bumpers... Looks to be a major pain, I think it might have been disco web, anyway I liked how the guy was talking about "you might want to keep a fire extinguisher close for the next couple days" noting that you must relocate the washer reservior to a very tight space thats not too far away from the engine and the cat-converter, well considering washer fluid is mostly ethanol.. you get the picture :eek:

I just dont want to have to be the person that has to lift the hood while everything underneath is ablaze.

|:^) (eyebrows) ---> :^( (no eyebrows)

·
2,986 Posts
yeah I dont think its as big as a pain as it looks.. I have yet to do it.. but there is space back there available.. and I wouldnt worry about fire as long as you do it carefully and seal everything up properly.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Rover Nick said:
I have seen skid plates that cover front axle, and i have seen ones that say steering protection. are these the same? If not, do they make plates that cover both, or do i need to get both?
Are you looking for a DI or DII skidplate?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.