Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks great! A strong recommendation though, you can shed almost 40lbs off the front end by switching from steel winch cable to a braided synthetic winch rope. Synthetic is stronger than steel cable, doesn't rust, wraps and unwraps easier, uses an light aluminum hawse instead of the heavy steel roller, and if it breaks, doesn't whip and slice your legs off if you stand near it. 125ft of 3/8" steel cable weighs over 30 lbs, and the steel roller weights 10+lbs. The same length of synthetic line (which is actually stronger) weighs ~4lbs, and the aluminum hawse is ~2 lbs.
Right on! Will definitely look into that. I'm all about a good strength to weight ratio.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. I'm likely going to go with the TF medium coils with the rubber isolators for the front.

One question... do you have any lean with the TF coils? I know they are handed with the driver side 10mm longer, similar to OME, but I haven't had much luck with OME coils.

Here's a shot of my truck, because why not.

View attachment 93552
Ok I have no lean at all. *** but you may want to check that your sway bar on the rear hasn't flipped over and gotten stuck. when I added the 2" lift springs I noticed the sway bars didn't have the correct motion/travel anymore, so I made a spacer out of boxed steel square tubing for the front, to put between the sway bar mount and the frame.. The rear under extreme articulation gets filled up and wont return on its own, when mine is leaning that is why. I was going to order easy rear sway bar disconnects for the future.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok I have no lean at all. *** but you may want to check that your sway bar on the rear hasn't flipped over and gotten stuck. when I added the 2" lift springs I noticed the sway bars didn't have the correct motion/travel anymore, so I made a spacer out of boxed steel square tubing for the front, to put between the sway bar mount and the frame.. The rear under extreme articulation gets filled up and wont return on its own, when mine is leaning that is why. I was going to order easy rear sway bar disconnects for the future.
Do you know of a source for quick disconnects? I've been looking but couldn't find ones for RRC's.

·
very disco
2,786 Posts
I've long considered swapping out my steel cable to synthetic, but I've gone to great lengths to keep my rovers "period correct" in terms of lighting and accessories. I'm not sure if synthetic leads were common back in 2003? I know that LED lighting wasn't

·
Registered
70 Posts
I understand the period correct draw, I guess my attitude is more "period correct, but with modern convenience". The weight savings and safety factor are a pretty major benefit. For example, I think it would be awesome to live in a giant medieval castle, but you can be sure I'd want that thing to have some modern toilets/plumbing!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts