Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If time and space weren’t an issue for me, I’d be keeping this truck. However...

While moving from Chicago to Pennsylvania this past January with a U-Haul trailer in tow, it developed a running issue. It got me to my dad’s place in western Maryland, where it has sat for the last five months. I simply don’t have time to run out there and back to work on it, and I don’t have a garage or suitable workspace at our new home.

She ran fine before we left Chicago and was doing a pretty good job towing the 8-ft trailer with our furniture, despite some of the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced and a seemingly non-stop headwind. She ran fine all the way to eastern Ohio, but when we stopped for gas outside of Youngstown she threw a flashing check-engine light and had developed a mild flutter in the mid-range. I refilled her and drove on, making it to my dad’s out of necessity.

The following day, I checked her over for evidence of damage. No coolant in the oil or vice versa. I pulled the plugs and they all looked fairly normal except for showing maybe a hint of running slightly rich. I went ahead and replaced them, but the issue was still the same, and power was definitely down. Needing to move on, I left the truck with my dad and borrowed his pickup to finish the haul.

We went to visit him on Father’s Day weekend, and I roped my brother (a recently-minted GM technician) into helping me with the diagnosis. We were able to pull some random misfires with a scan tool, but nothing specific to a given cylinder. He suspected the catalytic converter(s) may have melted down from running rich. Against my better judgment, we hollowed them out to eliminate that possibility. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the problem and now the truck runs exactly the same, except louder.

At this point we suspect there may be either a bad coilpack, or I may have picked up some bad gas along the way, fouling up one or more injectors. Either way, I’ve decided it’s time to move on to a different vehicle and let someone else do something with this one. It starts right up and it runs a little rough, but once you get beyond 3000 rpm, she’s smooth, if a bit gutless.

I bought the truck almost five years ago with a blown engine, which I replaced and put back on the road. The rebuild was part of a project series on KilometerMagazine.com, which can be seen here: Project - kilometer magazine

Up to this point I had driven the truck as my daily driver for the last three years, having put about 25,000 miles on it since the rebuild. Here are the rest of the details if you’re looking for a project or a parts vehicle.

Model: 2001 Discovery II SD (5-pass, no sunroofs, vinyl interior)
Mileage: ~112,000 (+ another ~9,000 on the replacement/donor engine)
Engine: 4.0 Bosch with secondary air injection (SAI)
Tires: Falken Rocky Mountain ATS, 245/75R16, siped for winter use, ~90% tread life remaining

Body: Epsom Green. Good condition overall, no rust. Has been garage kept until this year. Right front fender dented above corner marker light. Right rear fender scraped/dented just ahead of taillight. Front bumper clearanced for off-road. No fog lights or headlight washers.

Interior: Tan vinyl. Overall excellent condition. Upholstery is in great shape with no stains, cracks or tears. I replaced the headliner with new material 4 years ago, still good. Carpet is in good shape and I have two sets of floor mats (one rough, one like new). All switches and motors work (windows, seats, locks). Dash is complete, front cupholders perfect. The instrument cluster housing is covered in black Alcantara.

Accessories: I added a roof ladder last spring, otherwise the truck is stock. It is equipped with a factory receiver hitch and I added a plug-&-play 4-flat trailer harness from Atlantic British just before the move. There is also a CB radio in the glovebox.

Mechanical: The truck worked great up until the move. Transmission shifts perfectly. The front prop shaft U-joints were upgraded with greasable units 2 years ago. The transfer case has the nipple for CDL activation, though I’ve never been able to find (cheaply enough) the linkage to activate it.

Also included: I have several spare parts that go with the truck, including a new-in-the-box water pump, ignition coilpack, starter, and various other hardware.

This engine will need a little bit of work, but once fixed it can either be a respectable daily driver or a decent hunting/camping vehicle. It could also be the perfect platform for a trail rig. I contemplated towing it home and parting it out, but I just don’t have the time or place to handle that right now.

The truck is parked at my dad’s place near Deep Creek Lake in Maryland, just a few miles off of I-68. Clear Illinois title. Asking $1500 as is. Open to reasonable offers or trade considerations. PM for further details.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Funny I was thinking if it was still in Chicago I'd probably pick it up

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish this was closer to KY. I have the time and the place to mess with it. Just too far away! GLWS. Surprised no one has jumped on it.
Thanks. I'm already having second thoughts about letting it go, even though another D2 is probably its replacement anyway. It's not exactly in a hotbed of a Rover market where it's currently sitting. If I don't get any takers I may just have it hauled here to Philly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So wait will it be able to drive from PA on the highway? You say it runs fine over 3000 RPMS right?
The truck is sitting at my dad's place in western Maryland. It got me there loaded for bear and towing a trailer, but it really lags on hills. And he lives in the mountains. I've contemplated just driving it home to PA. It would probably make it...but it's hard to say.

It runs <I>smoothly</I> above 3000 rpm, but it's still down on power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.